Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer coatings again- linseed oil?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Trailer coatings again- linseed oil?

[QUOTE=stevej;1689899]Or just go to a ally trailer and never worry about it again

get a rubber bung drill a hole through it for a hose and use a pressure pump to fill the whole void
    have used fish oil. Sump oil tectly and all manner of products
    all work to some degree

I've seen a bloke completely cap all his SHS section trailer, pump it full of sump oil, and declare it would last forever. Some years later, I kept a straight face when it rusted out from the inside, bottom of the section. He hadn't allowed for the fact that oil is lighter than water. Who'd a thunk that? So the small amount of saltwater that invevitably snuck in sat on the bottom, happily rusting through when it was sitting quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    S2S PLID film
    awsome stuff.
    Utube for the vids
    can get it in brisbane northside
    Have you used this yourself BigE, it looks good gear.
    I have just had a new trailer galvanized and it is not what you would call a good gal job, so thinking about future preventive maintenance.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Have you used this yourself BigE, it looks good gear.
    I have just had a new trailer galvanized and it is not what you would call a good gal job, so thinking about future preventive maintenance.

TMC
    I've used Denso tape which is a similar product and once on water will not penetrate. Good on the oitside, I haven't worked out how to get it inside yet.

[QUOTE=ranmar850;1689982]
    Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Or just go to a ally trailer and never worry about it again

get a rubber bung drill a hole through it for a hose and use a pressure pump to fill the whole void
    have used fish oil. Sump oil tectly and all manner of products
    all work to some degree

I've seen a bloke completely cap all his SHS section trailer, pump it full of sump oil, and declare it would last forever. Some years later, I kept a straight face when it rusted out from the inside, bottom of the section. He hadn't allowed for the fact that oil is lighter than water. Who'd a thunk that? So the small amount of saltwater that invevitably snuck in sat on the bottom, happily rusting through when it was sitting quietly.
    just meant to use that method to get a good seal when putting what ever liquid in there to make sure it’s full
    saves taping the gal and removing material if trying to add a screw-in metallic bung

dint think anything is foolproof with saltwater used boats
    even my new ally trailer has all gal fittings with no seperation and gal biting into ally
    maybe not rust but dissimilar metal issues going to occur at some point

Ausfish Platinum Member

Denso tape is very good within its prescribed uses, applied properly. We used it widely for all hydraulic fittings on the fishing boats, anything that needed salt water kept off. I have it wrapping up the drum winch motor on my boat, and the electric capstan drive motor, and their associated electrical connections. However, if water can find a way in, it then has the reverse effect, as it traps it inside. I've seen some horrible messes.
    But the funniest one was with a mate, who hit on the "idea" of wrapping his boat trailer springs up to " stop them rusting" . He rreally didn't give any though to the fact that springs flex, and open up gaps, and the resultant water trapping inside had those springs worse off than leaving them bare. Parts of them were almost effectively immersed in salt water, full time. . I don't know if I would want to try to wrap an entire trailer.