Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fibreglass project - Where to start?

Re: Fibreglass project - Where to start?

Inveretta, I hope it doesn't seem like I am disregarding anyones advice. To the contrary, it has all been a great help in thinking this project through. In the last 24 hours I have dropped it picked it up and gone full circle again.

I realise after measuring the hull and calculating the surface area and ply required my initial estimates were well off. I have no doubt that that $2-3K estimate is pretty close. Then finding an Outboard to slap on the back would be the next issue.

I am beginning to doubt whether I want to tackle this or just lay the money out up front and buy a seaworthy option. However, the thought of buying something and having to go through this process anyway is a bit daunting. At least if I tackle this myself I know its done and won't need doing again... (hopefully) until I decide I've outgrown the boat.

I will do some digging and see if I can find the model thanks for the suggestions Noelm & Catshark

At a wild guess your underfloor structure wouldbejust 3 small stringers no cross members

I would estimate
    1x 25mm sheet for the transom
    3x 12mm sheets for the floor and stringers (you'll have left over plywood)
    You may use 2 pales of resin and be left with a bit
    You could probably get away with all chopped mat no cloth its only a tiny boat (a lot bigger boats were built in the 60' 70's with all chopped mat, cloth on major structual areas like transom)
    Im not sure what fillers u use with polyester resin for glue mixes
    You'll need gloves, respirator, ice cream containers, mixing sticks, scales, acetone, that isjust for glassing, you'll need away of demo'ing the hull, a grinder, cutting disc, sanding flap disc, sander, than u need painting supplies, tapes, rollers, handles, paint trays, paint, paint thinners for clean up

Probably a lot more i am leaving out i cant think of

You may come out way over spending on a tiny hull like this, imo the only way to come out even or a head is rebuilding good known hulls 18ft+ like haines hunter that sell for rediculous prices

But if its something u will keep its well worth rebuilding

I'm still not sure why you want to rebuild it if there are no signs of softness? As to the transom you said it's solid but there are indications of wet wood around the bung hole. I'd remove the bung assembly and have a poke around and maybe do some test drills. If it hasn't gone far you might get way with drying it out and treating it with a penetrating epoxy.

There was someone on here, Giddyup? Something like that. Anyway, he was rebuilding a boat and had a pile of photos in his thread. He could be worth asking, he would likely have a better idea on cost. As an aside, I was given some step by steps for repairing a transom etc. I could forward them if it would be helpful.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I’d go through the archives of Ausfish in regards to the projects that have been successfully completed. Look at the quality builds that have been done with success and reach out to those members.

Looking forward to the build.
    Matilda

There is one bloke to ask and that is Noel he's an encylapedia for boats

My advice (for what it's worth) unless you want to do this for fun/hobby, and you plan on keeping the boat for a very long time, then cut your losses now, and buy a complete running rig! It will work out cheaper and save you a lot of heartache and time in the long run.

As noelm stated unless you want the exercise and enjoy building stuff sell it in and buy something done and fit for purpose
    it’s only ever worthwhile if it’s really a boat you live or can’t buy in the format you want.
    You also have all the costs of a full fitout and outboard it will suprise you what it truely costs in the end

the fibreglass itch is also one of the bonuses you will get to enjoy