Thread: 12 volt fridge - open boats

12 volt fridge - open boats

Hey All

I've been toying with the idea of running a 25-35 lt fridge on my boat - A center console .
    As you would imagine - the only place you can keep it out of the elements is basically between the console & the driver / passenger which is not ideal but you can work around it .

My question is how well do these things deal with the elements ?
    Assume that there will be a cover & plugs will be treated / waterproofed as best as possible .

I don't imagine that the fridge will get wet since I have recently added clears for the T Top ..... but it's still going to be in that environment .
    It wont be a permanent fitting on the boat as it will just be used for those longer trips away where I might want to keep bait etc . ..... It may even just stay at camp .
    I have no preconceived ideas on brands as it will be harsh on anything chosen & I doubt I would get a long run out of any of them .

Curious to hear your thoughts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: 12 volt fridge - open boats

I've been running one of the Eclipse Engels, the plastic one, in our Top Ender for well over 5 years now. It is in the travel bag, but it isn't protected at all other than the bag. I haven't done anything to protect the power lead, it sits up against the side (opposite the side console) and it has never missed a beat. It never comes out of the boat, and gets used to keep frozen bait frozen, drinks, food, and ice for drinks. Has even been used to cool phones down after they lock up from heat.
    I changed from an esky to fridge as we did a number of trips through the NT and ice wasn't going to be available, especially when away from shops for weeks, so the fridge was the answer. If it ever does die, it will be replaced, maybe not with Engel, but definitely with something.
    To help power it, we run 3 batteries, one is dedicated to the outboard, the other two share the fridge and elec motor. If we are using the bimini, I lay a solar panel over the bimini and hold it on with ocky straps, and top up charge it all overnight off the generator, or power if we're somewhere near power.

Hope this helps, I'd never have a boat without a fridge again.
    Cheers
    Corry

+1 for Engel Eclipse, my old man's had one in the back of his ute (open tray) for about 8 - 9 years now, about 15 Fraser trips in there in that time and hasn't missed a beat, I bought one about 5 years ago, it's had a much easier life but no issues either, the only thing to be seen wrong with dads is the lid has slightly warped, but only the outer cover, the pic that actually seals and insulates doesn't have an issue.

Yeh , I've often seen these fridges on the back of utes & thought to myself about them being out in the elements ...... but salt water spray vs rain

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Another vote for Engel - with its patented minimal moving parts compressor would be the go. There survivability on corrugation is way higher than a lot of others. I imagin will be bobbing stationary and bouncing through the waves in the boat. My uncle has a one on the camper trailer on the front, its beaten up and a bit oxidised but 10years plus still goes and that is rattling around on the camper which is otherwise parked back yard. Things always fair worse in salt environment tho. Maybe rig up an enclosure of sorts

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BrisDano View Post
    Another vote for Engel - with its patented minimal moving parts compressor would be the go. There survivability on corrugation is way higher than a lot of others. I imagin will be bobbing stationary and bouncing through the waves in the boat. My uncle has a one on the camper trailer on the front, its beaten up and a bit oxidised but 10years plus still goes and that is rattling around on the camper which is otherwise parked back yard. Things always fair worse in salt environment tho. Maybe rig up an enclosure of sorts

good luck
    The new National Luna I have would be good on a boat corrosion wise as it is stainless steel but its just too bulky .
    Right now I'm leaning to an Engel based on my own experiences having owned one for over 13 years now. The downside for me with the smaller Engel is the direction the lid is orientated - I would only be able to partially open it if the fridge is secured hard up to the console.

I did notice that the new plastic Engels are only DC too ...... not sure if that is a game breaker .

I thought about buying a cheap brass monkey fridge & seeing how it goes .... but as it turns out they cant work for prolonged periods not level (<5 deg)

It's still early days & I might plonk my NL into the boat just to see if I can live with one being in that location .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

I did notice that the new plastic Engels are only DC too ...... not sure if that is a game breaker .

Chris
    Its just the Engel way to get an extra $100 out of you for an optional 240v converter..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Its just the Engel way to get an extra $100 out of you for an optional 240v converter..
    Sounds about right ......

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

I did notice that the new plastic Engels are only DC too ...... not sure if that is a game breaker ..
    Are they really, I didn't know they'd changed that. I did hear that the current "Eclipse" was no longer being made, and have thought about getting another one as there is a couple of them in stock in one of our hardware stores up the road.
    Hopefully they aren't going to the same compressor set up that was in their drawer fridge, it was 12v only. We had one of these and it lived a very short life, but by the time we removed it to have it looked at, it was out of warranty, and Engel don't do parts to repair, was enough for me to move away from using Engel, very disappointing.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Are they really, I didn't know they'd changed that. I did hear that the current "Eclipse" was no longer being made, and have thought about getting another one as there is a couple of them in stock in one of our hardware stores up the road.
    Hopefully they aren't going to the same compressor set up that was in their drawer fridge, it was 12v only. We had one of these and it lived a very short life, but by the time we removed it to have it looked at, it was out of warranty, and Engel don't do parts to repair, was enough for me to move away from using Engel, very disappointing.
    Yes , it's true (no AC) - So I'm guessing if you like the older model & can get hold of one - grab it.

There must be something about these drawer fridges - my 40lt EvaKool has gone poopies twice this year & someone else I know said the same thing about his 30lt Engel .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO