Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium T Top Roof

Re: Aluminium T Top Roof

Here's a picture from the owners manual about the beeps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks like a switch right there, what happens (or should) when the motor is in neutral, alls good, but, if you advance the throttle, but the neutral switch stays "on" the throttle position sensor sees the throttle is advanced, but it's still in neutral, so, it sets an alarm and restricts RPM to prevent further damage. Same as various other sensors will do.

Yep. Find the other end of the sensor lead and make sure it's plugged in first, then use a multimeter across the unplugged sensor leads to check that continuity changes as the motor goes in and out of neutral. If it does - all good; if not then investigate the switch.

Easy to do on the trailer and one possible cause checked off before your next test run.

Hey guys i clicked my fingers and had a new mercury vessel view show up... my engine has 94.7 hours, uses 800mls of fuel at idle per hour, and no faults are recorded or blocked, just my battery appears to not be charging 11.9v at 700rpm?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe the battery thing is what's setting the alarm? Only reason I suggested the neutral switch was I noticed in the video it all seemed OK until you moved the throttle.

It may have been the gear cable tho as when i tested the boat the other day the forward control was very clunky and stiff when i adjusted the gear cable at the engine yesterday the correct setting moved the gear pin back around 5mm to where it was previously

But strange no errors were recorded

Actually u could be on to it Noel the battery read 11.9v while the engine was running, a battery at 11.9v is aflat battery that could be triggering the problem

I can do any mechamical repair but i am hopeless at electrical problem solving but i just found the problem, the battery was reading 12.5volts but once i started the engine the battery volts dropped to 12.07volts so i tested the alternator at the output terminal and the block and it was flashing into the high 11volts into the very low 12volts so happy to say the problem is my alternator itsnot putting any power out also the fuseable link is ok or appears ok and not burnt, fuseable link is mercurys fancy way of saying a inline cable fuse that runs from the alternators output terminal to a distribution bar

I can do any mechamical repair but i am hopeless at electrical problem solving but i just found the problem, the battery was reading 12.5volts but once i started the engine the battery volts dropped to 12.07volts so i tested the alternator at the output terminal and the block and it was flashing into the high 11volts into the very low 12volts so happy to say the problem is my alternator itsnot putting any power out also the fuseable link is ok or appears ok and not burnt, fuseable link is mercurys fancy way of saying a inline cable fuse that runs from the alternators output terminal to a distribution bar

There's a Merc service bulletin with things to check before settling on failed alternator:

https://studylib.net/doc/18782720/al...in-no.-2009-01

Not sure if it's the same with outboards, but if you take the negative off the battery while a petrol engine is running, if it keeps running then the alternator's doing at least half a job, if the motor dies the alternator's not doing what it should be, which could be a number of things but at least then you can pinpoint it to something in the charging system.

Cheers guys i just hooked ajumper lead just the negative from the alternators mounting bolt to the negative on the battery and instantly heard the alternator kick in i than checked battery voltage 14.12volts i looked at the alternator mounts and there coated but right where the bolt goesis clear aluminium so the alternator doesnt earth thru the mounting bracket but rather back to the block via a earth cable from the mounting bolt

So theres my problem

Interesting, hope it fixes the alarm issue, sounds kind of strange that a bolt doesn't provide a connection.

Yeah it is quiet strange its been along time since i changed acar alternator which is pretty much the same thing and they earth thru the mounting just strange that this one cant earth thru the bracket that bolts to the block

I will likely test theboat next week mon/tues just so there isno rat race going on at the boat ramp like on last sunday, the lake is 35kms up stream and it was jammed packed people rushing to use the ramp i couldn't even just duck in for 2mins to pick up passengers was a nightmare

You should be able to test it on the flushers, just to make sure it's all OK before launching again.