Thread: A lucky day fishing off Moreton??

A lucky day fishing off Moreton??

One of those days

Looked at currents - borderline out wide - give it a go anyway as the rig has 5kg sinkers
    Wind was very good - nice and calm.
    Well this gets a bit personal but here we go - breakfast I always go for eggs on toast to settle the tummy for offshore and make sure I use the loo before leaving home - especially today as I was going solo.
    But sure enough got to Redcliffe ramp 6am and had to do another quick trip into the loo there. I was fast - left the car motor running and boat was ready to launch. There was no one waiting in the rigging area and two boats were on the ramp.
    Jogging short distance to the loo - 3 minutes later jogging back to boat and still no one was there to rig boats etc except there was approx 20yo ozzie boy standing about 5m behind my boat looking my way and when he sees me he starts walking towards their car and jetski nearby and I think that looks suss but who am I to have an issue with a guy 5m behind my boat but as I get closer then Kiwi guy number two slinks out from behind my boat way too close looking down and getting away as quick as possible without running - WTF can you do? I can carry on like a porkchop but he doesn't have anything on him but clearly he was leaving empty handed. My boat is not small and all the good stuff was in the cabin - looking into the boat from the farside he would have only been able to get to big sinkers, big eskies and whole mullet. The good stuff (Stella and electric reels etc) are tucked up inside the cabin and getting onboard ain't possible without using the ladder. I took this picture - grubs!!
    I launched the boat and they were just behind cheerily wishing me a great day on the water - not the first time I have come across people almost nicking stuff then getting nice and friendly - can't help but think they are sussing out if they are busted or not ie seeing if you are an idiot or not. I chose not to get excited and nasty because firstly they got nothing and secondly I didn't want to return to a vandalised car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14th Aug Redcliffe Ramp.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	124367

Now the fishing trip out wide.
    Got there 8am to 300m and saw a nice show and pulled up and found a pretty strong current swirling behind the boat but the electric held the boat in place.
    Dropping a 5kg sinker and smaller mullet baits I got bites straight away but not good strong bites and pulled up a couple of green eye sharks and repeating this at same spot then moved to another spot.
    After one hour the front motor was showing a red light which meant battery was low - well I just got a new Fullriver and the second Fullriver was less than a year old and only used about 10 times so I disconnected the batteries and checked their voltage - new battery at 12.6V and 1yo battery at 6.6V - have to get this checked out now.
    Fishing without the electric on the front drift speed was 3.5 to 5kph - I persisted through the day using the big LSM reel on 12v rather than 24v as it works on both but slower and fished about 30 spots and saw plenty of reasonable shows and fished from 300m to 700m and got somewhere between 20 and 30 green eye sharks but nothing to take home.
    4pm I went home - it was a very smooth run with the exception of Combi point doing it's swirlying current and chop thing as usual mid-tide.
    Saw 20-30 whales and the same with dolphins - even had mum and calf come boatside for a look-see.
    It was a nice day to be out.
    Was hoping for better but counting my blessings although have mixed feelings about grubs and no feed to take home.
    Will focus on the positives.
    I have just bought this and hoping it fixes 24V battery issues
    https://www.bigweibattery.com.au/pro...cycle-battery/
    Cheers

Trev

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: A lucky day fishing off Moreton??

Be interesting to see how the battery goes. Hope it works as good as the claims.cheers

Thanks for the report Trevelly. We went on Saturday for the morning, fished in 200m NE of the cape for 2 cod and lots of green eyes. We drift with a para anchor and it was a quick drift. Got 1 cod on bait and another on a jig.
    Weather was spectacular but.
    Disappointing to hear battery issues for you, hopefully nothing to major.

Cheers
    LeeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629077513.587866.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	124368

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Yeh - pretty suss ...... specially the walk away quickly.

I've certainly stared into a few boats over the years - a nice setup will always grab my attention ...... so you cant discount that - simply looking.

Interesting battery - now I've never looked into 24 volt batteries before , is the 21kgs typical of a 24 volt 100amp LiFePO$ ? .

I could see myself adding a battery like this to extend my spotlocking when I go away
    being 24vlt - I could simply plug & play .
    This could allow me leaving the 21kg Honda genni at home

- it could also be used when camping to run the fridge .

Very interested , please keep us informed with how it goes

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO