Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio/Aerial replacement

Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

So the missus did a radio course with the local coastguard fella's a week ago...

Now she is annoying me to activate the DSC function...

My GPS antennae is located on top of the hardtop just above the instrument compartment where the VHF unit is located..

My GPS units are NMEA connected so Is it as simple as buying a splitter and using the splitter to join the antennae and VHF ...?

Any splitters better then others or anything else I need to consider..?

How old is your GPS Shakey..?..are you sure its not able to be nmea connected..?..I have a pair of 95sv which are...

Quick google says that sounder has a NMEA 0183 output. If your vhf has an input, should be easy. Just plain wiring from memory rather than coax and connectors with 2000. Either my vhf or sounder had a cable with it.
    I even got the AIS output from the vhf (it was a fancy one) to display ships on the GPS. Not particularly useful but amused me when floating about not catching fish - which was regularly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    So the missus did a radio course with the local coastguard fella's a week ago...

My GPS antennae is located on top of the hardtop just above the instrument compartment where the VHF unit is located..

My GPS units are NMEA connected so Is it as simple as buying a splitter and using the splitter to join the antennae and VHF ...?

How old is your GPS Shakey..?..are you sure its not able to be nmea connected..?..I have a pair of 95sv which are...
    It would be more likely that the easiest option would be to hook one of your gps displays to the radio rather than your antenna. Will all depend on exactly what models you have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Quick google says that sounder has a NMEA 0183 output. If your vhf has an input, should be easy. Just plain wiring from memory rather than coax and connectors with 2000. Either my vhf or sounder had a cable with it.
    I even got the AIS output from the vhf (it was a fancy one) to display ships on the GPS. Not particularly useful but amused me when floating about not catching fish - which was regularly

TheRealPoMo, thanks for that information, I’ll look into it.

Would be good if I could hook up the NMEA0183

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Still considering the radio. Have decided to get one with DSC function.

My question about these to those that know, is

Do I need to connect radio to GPS. My current finder is a Garmin 75sv, which I’m pretty sure can’t be connected to NMEA 2000, but I’m not really sure.

Can anyone advise or steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I've got that exact combo and the radio has GPS built in.

Thank you all.

I received confirmation from Garmin, that my 75 series unit can be connected to radio with NMEA0183

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia.
    The Garmin Echomap 75 DV does has NMEA0183 connectivity, you will need to talk to a qualified marine electrician on your connection requirements.

Image1631049016.435331.jpg

Is there much difficulty in connecting the NMEA0183 to Garmin unit and to the radio.

I know nothing about the connections as I have not looked in to it. Sorry, it may be easy but not looked into this just yet

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Did you get the IC-M330GE vhf? Looks like it has GPS built in so you don't need the feed from the Plotter.
    The radio seems to have 0183 in and out as well anyway. From memory it's only about 4 wires. Tx to Rx + and -. Should be a generic diagram on interweb. Check Garmin. Or Icom.

Give us the exact model numbers. It won't be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Give us the exact model numbers. It won't be hard.
    I’m going to buy the icom radio, Model = IC-M330GE

Ok.... two options.

First - connect it to nothing. It will function as a stand alone unit thanks to it's internal GPS.

Second - if you want the Garmin to display DSC information ( I am assuming if it receives a DSC call it will put target on the plotter but who knows - not something I have ever bothered with) connections should be

Garmin brown wire to Icom white wire.
    Garmin blue wire to Icom yellow wire

Icom green and brown wires both need to be connected to negative - the same place the Garmin black wire connects.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Ok.... two options.

First - connect it to nothing. It will function as a stand alone unit thanks to it's internal GPS.

Second - if you want the Garmin to display DSC information ( I am assuming if it receives a DSC call it will put target on the plotter but who knows - not something I have ever bothered with) connections should be

Garmin brown wire to Icom white wire.
    Garmin blue wire to Icom yellow wire

Icom green and brown wires both need to be connected to negative - the same place the Garmin black wire connects.
    Thanks Scottar

So there is no difference to using it as stand alone unit, or connecting via nmea?

If that’s the case I’ll just use it stand alone

I know it has the DSC function, but fingers crossed, I’ll never need to worry about that function

One last thing. If you didn’t get the MMSI number straight away, will the unit still work as a radio?

No difference to the operation of the DSC in the radio unless it's mounted in a location where the internal GPS struggles to get a fix. Some sets will flag an alarm at turn on if you don't have a mmsi programmed in which can usually be cancelled but the radio will still work fine.

Pretty sure that VHF has an external GPS antenna port as well. I love Icom gear.
    Though Scottar has provided the wiring to use the plotters GPS feed anyway which is easier if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

Did your missus explain the DSC system
    Did she explain what happens when you leave the area of where you logged in your DSC info
    Do you know who monitors your DSC info
    Who shares your DSC info?
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Just to finalise this subject, I ended up purchasing the following and have installed both

Radio: Standard Horizon GX1400GPS
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/rad-gx1400gps-black

Aerial: Shakespeare VHF 2.4m High Gain Antenna
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/shakes...h-gain-antenna

Mount: Stainless Steel Antenna Base
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/ant-base-s-s-slotted

Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums