Thread: PE for light rock fishing

PE for light rock fishing

Hi Fishos,
    First time posting for a new member.
    I've recently purchased myself a Certate LT 5000D-ARCH with Zenaq Fokeeto FC78-2 Long Cast combo for fishing some reef flats off Cairns towards end of year.
    I'll be relocating to Central Coast NSW around March next year and will be casting off the stones for Bonito and other smaller palegics.
    I've had the spool wrapped with Tasline Elite White 8x PE1.7 20lb, you think this will hold up for some lite reef flat fishing and rock fishing back South? I'm hoping adjusting leader where needed might do the trick. I'll be throwing 14-60g lures. Noting that the rod is PE2.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: PE for light rock fishing

I’ve never used braid off the rocks as always just popped anytime it went near anything sharp
    only ever spun lures or bait fished with mono

Nice outfit

It really depends on your environment you are fishing ..... I fish with braid in shallow water over reefs which is no different to fishing off the rocks - Tasline is one of the best lines if there is likely abrasion so I think you'll be right ..... if you have doubts , go up to the next diameter (PE3)..... you're still going to be well under the diameter of even 50lb mono.

The reality is that if you abrade mono or braid - you still need to replace it but it's certainly going to cost you more with braid.
    & like you said just work with a longer leader attached via a castable knot like the FG .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated. Yeah the rig is really nice, I'm very happy with it.
    I've always fished with braid from the rocks and have rarely has issues as I don't bottom bash.
    I think I might just head out for a few trips and see how it holds up with the bigger fish and If there are issues, have it replaced, might even try spooling it onto another reel.
    Cheers.