Thread: Sounder / Transducer help for inshore fishing

Sounder / Transducer help for inshore fishing

Hi,

I have an older 27' Riviera Flybridge which I have begun taking out further to about 150m deep. I have her at Port Stephens. I have a Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2 with the standard 3 in 1 transom mount tranny.

Now, I'm losing bottom at about 80m and don't like the idea of the transom mount tranny.

I'm taking her out end of this month for antifouling and was hoping to install a through hull tranny whilst out of the water.

I have been looking at the Airmar SS75M (600w) at $969 or the SS175M (1kw) at $1329. I know my Elite is only a 500w unit but also looking at upgrading further down the track.

I'm after some advice on best Tranny to get at a reasonable price which will work now with the Elite and then when I upgrade possibly HDS unit.

Is the 1kw tranny worth the extra $360 or not?

Also as I have a flybridge was hoping to be able to link the new fish finder to my Elite as a screen only so I can have one at each helm? Also, I have been told the HDS units have 2 tranny plugs which I can then keep the 3 in 1 tranny for bay fishing etc??

Or do I need a whole new setup with 2 new finders, etc. at a million dollars???

Cheers
    Rod

Re: Sounder / Transducer help for inshore fishing

long answer. yeah the 1kw transducers are worth the extra if you plan to upgrade in the future especially. other than the power output difference between the transducers, 1kw units have considerably larger elements and greater sensitivity. on a magnitude that exceeds the pwoer difference. "around 5x more surface area for only 40% gain in power" and its that extra sensitivity that will aid you a lot untill you also then go up in units.

As for link. .No dice im afraid. cant share sonar data with the elite's

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

I am running an SS175M, but on an Axiom Pro, so I have the 1kw capability built in. You will certainly have no problems getting excellent returns at 150m with a 1kw transmit power, but not with the 600w Elite. Mine is fine out to 300m plus, but start getting a bit sketchy over 400m, unless it is glass calm.

So as a no-nothing about either high power sounders or deep dropping, can I amuse myself and possibly others on a locked in Saturday arvo by asking - do these 1kw jobs cook the fish on the way up as well ?
    ...tho I guess they are much lower frequency than microwave to get the penetration and distance ?
    Still, 1000 watts at 12 volts is about 80 amps? You guys must have some serious batteries and wiring?
    Feel free to ridicule my ignorance - here to entertain and maybe learn something.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have decided to also upgrade to the Simrad EVO3 at the same time to take advantage of the 1kw transducer. That sounds great from the SS175M. I also recently joined the Port Stephens Game Fishing club and after speaking to some of the guys there most of them use the SS175HW for pelagics. You don't get the same depth as the 175M but apparently a lot more clarity and depth to about 200m on a good day. Have you or any one used these with or without the Evo3. I wouldn't mind any pros or cons.
    Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    So as a no-nothing about either high power sounders or deep dropping, can I amuse myself and possibly others on a locked in Saturday arvo by asking - do these 1kw jobs cook the fish on the way up as well ?
    ...tho I guess they are much lower frequency than microwave to get the penetration and distance ?
    Still, 1000 watts at 12 volts is about 80 amps? You guys must have some serious batteries and wiring?
    Feel free to ridicule my ignorance - here to entertain and maybe learn something.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Transmit power does not equate to Ohms Law in this case--and to further muddy the waters, apparently CHIRP transmit power for a given value does not line up to conventional single frequency. CHIRP at 1kw, for example would equate to more than 1kw on single old school frequency. I'm sure someone can explain it better than me--over to you, Moose

The output signal is chopped up or modulated.
    So it’s not able to be calculated with basic ohms law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk