Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WA and Kimberleys

Question WA and Kimberleys

Howd'y people,

I'm after ideas and info.

Traveling to WA in July next year. I will drive from home ( SEQ ). but heading straight to Broome, our base for a few days. ( taking fully set up Colorado )

Spending a bit of time around this area and will do the obvious, Horo falls, Rowley Shoals.........etc

Then making our way to Kununurra and may go via Kalumburu / Honeymoon Bay.

So, I suppose there are number of questions.

firstly, do it take the Gibb River road or the chicken track ?

The bitumen from Derby to Kununurra does have options to stop, like Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek and places to see there. We'll stay at Lake Argyle as well.

Does anyone have ideas for things to see in the Broome area and surrounds. Hiking is on the cards.

Is Wyndham worthy of the detour ?

We'll end up in Darwin for a while, then the savannah way to Cairns and home.

anything you can share will be appreciated.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: WA and Kimberleys

Gibb River rd and swim in all the different falls. You can do a different one every day. Hot falls at El Questro. We did Option 1 of this tour

https://horizontalfallsadventures.co...full-day-tour/

from Broome. Best one day trip I have done in all the countries I have visited.

Is Mark going to be letting people in by then?

Matt

Thanks,

We are pretty sure of doing the overnight trip to Horo Falls. Just offers that little bit more time.

cheers

If your heading up the Gibb river road to Mitchell plateau I guess an option would be to go to Kimberley Costal Camp for some luxury , best aboriginal art and some outstanding fishing . They can fly you in from the plateau but it’s bloody expensive now to stay and the flights aren’t cheap
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

We did that trip a few years ago, flew to Broome and stayed there a few days and did some fishing with a guide, we got a taxi down to the fishing boat and the taxi (Ford Falcon) drove straight onto the beach. We hired a Landcruiser and travelled up the coast to Kununurra. This was a fantastic trip we stayed at Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek, El Questro and Kununurrra we took the plane back to Darwin. Highlights of the trip were Broome, amazing place, Fitzroy Crossing , go on the Indigenous Geiki Gorge tour, fantastic. Amazing places like Zebedee Springs at El Questro although El Questro itself was disapointing. Another place I liked was Kununurra we went on a Barra trip with a Barra guide called Hairy Dog and caught some magnificent Barra on the Ord River. You will enjoy this trip Phil in this beautiful part of Australia I would love to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsytwoshoes View Post
    We did that trip a few years ago, flew to Broome and stayed there a few days and did some fishing with a guide, we got a taxi down to the fishing boat and the taxi (Ford Falcon) drove straight onto the beach. We hired a Landcruiser and travelled up the coast to Kununurra. This was a fantastic trip we stayed at Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek, El Questro and Kununurrra we took the plane back to Darwin. Highlights of the trip were Broome, amazing place, Fitzroy Crossing , go on the Indigenous Geiki Gorge tour, fantastic. Amazing places like Zebedee Springs at El Questro although El Questro itself was disapointing. Another place I liked was Kununurra we went on a Barra trip with a Barra guide called Hairy Dog and caught some magnificent Barra on the Ord River. You will enjoy this trip Phil in this beautiful part of Australia I would love to do it again.
    Thinking of doing a similar trip by road from Brisbane next May providing the COVID madness has died down by then. How were the corruagations on the Gibb River road. I have heard that they can be suspension and tyre destroying. Thanks in advance. SS

Ausfish Platinum Member

Oh I'm so envious Phil, our dream trip is to camp the whole western coast, taking the boat with us though.
    Just happens that we had a trip to the Maldives booked in 2020, obviously didn't happen so we postponed to 2021, when that had to be postponed again we took a credit with the travel mob, and looking for somewhere to spend it within Aus. Unfortunately, one of the most common places for the 'luxury' holidays happens to be Whitsundays, or Port Douglas, and as we've got a house at Seaforth and in Cairns, neither of these places 'take us away', so, Broome is looking like where we'll end up. Keen to follow your adventure over there and see what you end up doing, specially fishing wise.
    By all means when you're on your way back, drop us a line, would love to catch up whether it be Cairns or Seaforth, can always offer you a bed.
    Cheers
    Corry

It was a few years ago that we did the trip seastrength
    and I don't recall the road being to bad but we were not towing a van or anything.

Pretty sure LP had the chance to do that trip a few years back, but bailed out because he was too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Pretty sure LP had the chance to do that trip a few years back, but bailed out because he was too soft.
    Nearly......................., we just went way too early in the season. I dropped 4 kilos in 2 weeks. A bit older and wiser now.

The stars / planets are aligning. I have even booked in an overnighter at Horizontal Falls...

LP

Take your swimmers for the shark cage

Attachment 124312

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Nearly......................., we just went way too early in the season. I dropped 4 kilos in 2 weeks. A bit older and wiser now.

The stars / planets are aligning. I have even booked in an overnighter at Horizontal Falls...

LP
    I was going to back seat that trip with Linda and Brad, with a swag. Luck for me I couldn't get the time off work.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    If your heading up the Gibb river road to Mitchell plateau I guess an option would be to go to Kimberley Costal Camp for some luxury , best aboriginal art and some outstanding fishing . They can fly you in from the plateau but it’s bloody expensive now to stay and the flights aren’t cheap
    We are now heading up the Gibb River Road. Mitchell Plateau / Falls, Mertens Falls and onto Kalumburu and Honeymoon Bay. Guess I'll take some suspension spares... ? But taking it easy, I should be OK, no rush.

LP

Gibb River track is awesome. Did it many years ago and at the time, yes, it was very rough. Me and the missus did it in a 84 Troopy, had no dramas as took it easy but found many vehicles on the side of the road with broken shockies, suspension etc. People would look at us as we pulled up to offer assistance in the old girl, and shake their heads when we say we have had no dramas, even get more annoyed when they found out we had travelled from Byron in her!! the long way...Learnt the hard way about dealing with the road trains though, must remember to wind up the windows, and close the little vents near the foot well PRIOR to pulling over and letting the road train go by, never got that fine dust out of the truck or the dog!!
    JN