Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithium cranking batteries

Re: Lithium cranking batteries

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Lithium is a type not a brand.....
    There is a company called Lithium Battery Systems up in Brissy - maybe that's who Bremic is referring too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    HTML Code:
    what about this mob ..... seem to be right through motorsports for a few years now ..... Certainly worth digging a little deeper
    Looking forward to hearing what they say -

Yesterday I used their contact asking whether the battery was ok as a starting battery

this morning they came back and advised

HTML Code:
    yes the Lithiumax flagship RESTART10 Bluetooth unit is suitable for outboards up to 300HP
    I will be interested in the outcome of your discussions with them and in particular if the setup requires a DC/DC charger

I recall seeing somewhere - probably THT - that Mercury had issued a bulletin against the use of lithium batteries.

I spoke to Lithumax this morning after speaking to someone who gave them the thumbs up ( re races cars)

There will be no problem with the Restart 10 battery (900cca @-20 (equiv to 100amp AGM) .... it's locally designed for pretty well all applications & based around high output cells with a BMS that can handle it .
    Drop in replacement for my existing pair of Austral Calcium 650CC/75amp hybrid
    As I thought , I would need a second Lithium battery - especially when switching over to both batteries.
    They have an option for a 70amp LiFePO4 deep cycle (electribank) which seems pretty good .... it has a high (300amp) discharge capacity so it's clearly well built to handle that .

So if I went with this set up - I would end up with around a usable 115amp cycling & 900 cca (+) for a total of just 13.5kgs Vs 36kgs (75amp) that I currently have with my pair of Calcium hybrids.

Both batteries come with a 3 year warranty.

FYI - The cost of this battery arrangement will be $1724 delivered.

Interesting exercise

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here are the two batteries I'm thinking of going with

Cranking

http://www.lithiumax.com.au/product-...rt10-bluetooth

House

http://www.lithiumax.com.au/product-...ery-130ah-pbeq

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It never seems to be comparing apples to apples with this stuff.

With lockdown time on my hands I looked at a few Aus sites – and to say it is a little confusing to compare the batteries from different places is an understatement. .

Supplier 1 - 100Ah PbEq battery weight of 6kg

Supplier 2 - 100Ah (Lithium) battery weight of 13kg

Can anyone help these are the actual same real Amp hours or there is some conversion factor that can be applied?

Both suppliers advertise that they are using the same LiFePO4 battery chemistry.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    It never seems to be comparing apples to apples with this stuff.

With lockdown time on my hands I looked at a few Aus sites – and to say it is a little confusing to compare the batteries from different places is an understatement. .

Can anyone help these are the actual same real Amp hours or there is some conversion factor that can be applied?

Both suppliers advertise that they are using the same LiFePO4 battery chemistry.

steve
    Hey Steve

I noticed the same

100Ah PbEq (Lead Equivalent) means that it has equal usable capacity to a 100amp Lead acid battery ...... Lead acid batteries have typically a 50% DOD depth of discharge (50amps)
    So depending on the DOD of a 100Ah Pb Equiv (90 or 95%) .... it's a around 52-55Ah battery.

100Ah Lithium is just that - 100amp but keep in mind the DOD (90-95%) making it a 90-95Ah actual

Hence why there is a weight difference .

In essence Supplier 2 has a battery with twice the capacity & weight

When it comes to comparing Lead acid vs Lithium - A 100Ah Lithium - giving you 90% DOD (90amps) you would need a 180 amp (Lead acid , AGM , Gel) to give you that same 90amps (50% DOD)

That's my understanding

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Good summary, Chris. Totally logical. The lead/acid equivilent partwould be a trap for the unwary, unless, of course, you were happy with the existing theoretical capacity of your lead acid, and only wanted to save weight.

I'll be in the market for new batteries within the next year, I would think, as mine are now 3 yo, and both have had House duties for a year at a time, often with quite deep discharge. I fitted two 800CCA starting batteries from new, on the basis of swapping them over every year. I have a 75ah Lithium slimline in the back seat of my space cab to power the Engel that resides there, and a DC-DC/Mppt controller --I have built the wiring to make it all easily unpluggable, and added some wiring in the boat cab to support it, so that will be my fridge power when I am camping on board from now on. Or, at least, until I go to an all-lithium Start/House arrangement.
    Last edited by ranmar850; 03-08-2021 at 09:56 AM. Reason: ..and another thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Good summary, Chris. Totally logical. The lead/acid equivilent partwould be a trap for the unwary, unless, of course, you were happy with the existing theoretical capacity of your lead acid, and only wanted to save weight.

I'll be in the market for new batteries within the next year, I would think, as mine are now 3 yo, and both have had House duties for a year at a time, often with quite deep discharge. I fitted two 800CCA starting batteries from new, on the basis of swapping them over every year. I have a 75ah Lithium slimline in the back seat of my space cab to power the Engel that resides there, and a DC-DC/Mppt controller --I have built the wiring to make it all easily unpluggable, and added some wiring in the boat cab to support it, so that will be my fridge power when I am camping on board from now on. Or, at least, until I go to an all-lithium Start/House arrangement.
    Ta Mate

I've nearly been caught out with that one as well ( Equivalent to) .

I guess the biggest thing is working out how many amps you actually need for a house battery ...... for the past 3 years the 75amps or so that I've had available (2 x 75 Calciums) had been more than enough as I dont generally do overnight trips running fridges etc ....... mine will be go to a spot & just be running sounders / livewell ....... but each time I move I'm recharging the batteries.
    Now I'm thinking of running a small freezer which will be used for bait when I'm up at the Whitsundays at Chistmas & Aug next year ...... so overnight I could easily burn 50-60 amps before I fire up the motor . ..... I'd want double that for safety.

It's pretty amazing to see how much weight you can pull out of a battery system

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Naag do those batteries you are looking at have inbuilt BMS'?

Have a look at EV works' Winston Batteries. He doesn't update the site often enough and often has more stock than what the website states. The cells are what I installed and are really cost effective. Like I said though only a new thing for me and only have about 50 hours total in the boat so far but it's running great.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Naag do those batteries you are looking at have inbuilt BMS'?

Have a look at EV works' Winston Batteries. He doesn't update the site often enough and often has more stock than what the website states. The cells are what I installed and are really cost effective. Like I said though only a new thing for me and only have about 50 hours total in the boat so far but it's running great.
    Yeh mate - they both have built in BMS which are designed around the high output cells ........
    It's their background in motor racing that gave me the confidence to dig deeper .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well - I just installed the Lithiumax cranker & Electribank deep cycle LiFePO$ batteries. ...... I've shed 23kgs & certainly lightened my wallet .

Motor fired up beautifully but the proof will be on the water.

When I look at the weigh saving in my boat by going Lithiums - I've pulled out over around 52kgs between all 4 batteries ........ so when I do my Island trips - that's another 60lt of fuel I can take.

Normal running around should see an improvement on fuel economy & hole shot

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

How is your setup running now Chris?
    I'm looking at going down a similar path.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    How is your setup running now Chris?
    I'm looking at going down a similar path.
    Really happy with the set up ...... no issues what so ever & money well spent IMO

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Really happy with the set up ...... no issues what so ever & money well spent IMO

Chris
    But most importantly how did the trip North go . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    But most importantly how did the trip North go . Matt
    Give him time Matt..no doubt he is busy cleaning all those fish..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Give him time Matt..no doubt he is busy cleaning all those fish..
    K
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......