Thread: pull start of big engines and a question about deep cycle batteries

pull start of big engines and a question about deep cycle batteries

Hi everyone,

I don't have a lot of trust in my batteries. I will replace them soon but for now I would like to know if I can pull start my engine to feel more confident

Question 1

I have a Mercury 90 HP 4 stroke made in 2007.

My manual says that there is an emergency start procedure and it's as usual with a rope on the flywheel but my manual is for the range of engines from 75 to 115 HP. My friend says that 75 HP is max for pull starting and 90 HP is not practical (too hard to pull). I saw a video where a 90 HP Suzuki with the configuration similar to mine was pull started without significant effort as much as I can judge from the video.

Is it possible to pull start my engine if my batteries get flat when I am on the water?

Question 2

My second question is about Deep Cycle batteries. I have two batteries and the standard 1,2,off switch. Do I need to buy two starting batteries or one starting and another deep cycle battery? I heard that charging two different batteries by the engine can wear them out because one of them will take more charge than the other. What configuration would you recommend to buy?

Re: pull start of big engines and a question about deep cycle batteries

Try pull starting it at home - it's the only way you will know for sure and it's far better to find out in the back yard than out on the water. If it's in the manual then one would assume it can be done - the only thing left to find out is if YOU can do it. A mate and I have pull started an old V4 two stroke through necessity. Wasn't easy - bloody near killed us but it can be done. Amazing the extra "motivation" you get as the sun starts to disappear LOL. There's also video circulating of a 200 big block E-Tec - 3.3 litre, being pull started. About the only thing that might be an issue is if the battery is so dead it won't run the fuel injection. If you are worried about it, a lithium jump starter might be a worthwhile investment.

The battery - It is probably more relevant as to how it is wired up. If your boat is wired so it has a start / house type configuration, a deep cycle rated battery is most definitely a good idea. If the second battery is just there for starting should the first run down too far, a second marine starting battery should suffice. There are also "dual purpose" batteries available that supposedly are a starting battery that copes with deep discharge a bit better. If you sticking with the same battery construction - eg lead acid wet cell, I wouldn't be too concerned about having different batteries - just put the charger on them once you are at home to make sure they are brought back up to fully charged .

I have been thinking about something like this, as a backup.

https://itechworld.com.au/products/j...37138539380891

No doubt there are other similar products.

impressive little device you can use in 4wd or boating. The question is whether it is a better investment than 2 new batteries.

pull start of big engines and a question about deep cycle batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post

They appear to be a great little back-up accessory. Although not cheap, probably worth the investment if you tend to fish alone

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

For what they do, batteries are cheap, if you think they are "Dickey" just replace them, that said, you will be surprised what you can do if you have to, including pull starting a 90HP outboard, it's not as hard as you think, I have pull started a "tower or power" 6 cylinder Mercury, the trick is to make sure everything is ready to go, ignition on, in neutral, passengers standing clear and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    For what they do, batteries are cheap, if you think they are "Dickey" just replace them, that said, you will be surprised what you can do if you have to, including pull starting a 90HP outboard, it's not as hard as you think, I have pull started a "tower or power" 6 cylinder Mercury, the trick is to make sure everything is ready to go, ignition on, in neutral, passengers standing clear and so on.
    It’s important to have everyone out the way for sure , I had a 140 2 stroke Suzuki I had to pull start on Somerset dam once and I ended up over the bow of the boat but got it started . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post

i keep one in my car, not as powerful(900), and cheaper($200) which is fine for my diesel 4wd. they work well, but you need to have something left in the battery, they won't work on a dead lifeless battery, or as a replacement. At least, that's how mine works!

We have had 3 of thes for a few years with no troubels have started diesels that have been sitting for months with buggered batterys & jump straight into life with this jump pack
    COL

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13249018...item1ed907d164

I bought one of these ,they aren’t as powerful as some but it’s started a few cars & 4wd now . https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adv...p-starter.html
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......