Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupling anti-theft device no longer acceptable?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Coupling anti-theft device no longer acceptable?

So I rang Club Marine to clarify if my “Helmet Hitch” coupling lock on my trailer was still considered as acceptable as an anti-theft device after reading it on Bookface that it is not. Low and behold they have changed their policy a couple of months ago and they are not accepting these anymore.

They will not accept any coupling security devices. I was told my trailer at the ramp would not be insured without a wheel clamp or an anti-theft device that is acceptable in their policy (still trying to find out what that is other than the wheel clamp) chains and cables through the wheels with a padlock will also be not acceptable.

I was also told that my boat, although behind a locked fence when stored, will still need two acceptable anti-theft devices which again does not include chains or cables or a coupling lock such as my “Helmet Hitch” brand that was previously endorsed and accepted by Club Marine.

Any Ausfishers have similar issues with their insurers or is it just Club Marine?
    Matilda

Re: Coupling anti-theft device no longer acceptable?

That’s really funny. Let the tyre down and the wheel clamp is useless. The hitch is more secure.

Battery grinder with cutting disc will remove any of the devices available. If the bastards won't it they will take it. Most insurance companies have fine print in the policies but find that Club Marine are one of the better ones.

Have a look at your policy with regards to having equipment stolen out of your boat also. I found that to be very different between insurance companies also. I have my boat behind a locked gate in a locked shed with security cameras and was told I still needed to have a locking device on the trailer also. I won't name that company but they also would not insure the boat trailer or boat when towed as they informed me that the car insurance would need to cover this !!!!!!!!!

its a deterrent ie hopefully they take someone else's
    ill call clubmarine tomorrow as i use a hitch helmet and a clamp when stored in the shed.

Just found a email from club marine stating what you said but doesnt tell you what you should be doing.

Just read the PDS for Club Marine which, combined with the Policy Schedule document constitutes the contract of insurance. I had read an earlier version some time ago. I don't like either. I would not insure with them.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

i read this recently as well - I'm insured with Club marine as well ..... & to be honest I don't know why considering a past experience with them .

So my question is what is deemed as acceptable for a boat stored at home ?

Trailer at a boat ramp ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Hey Chris,

I spoke to two different people at club marine yesterday and asked the question in regards to the trailer at the ramp while I was out boating. I was told that I would need two anti-theft devices that were approved by club marine and that all coupling locks do not fit the criteria.

I was also told that photos should be taken of all methods used in the case a claim was needed to be made. Even at the ramp.

I’m hoping other Ausfishers can shed some light on other insurance policies so I can look at changing providers.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Chris,

I spoke to two different people at club marine yesterday and asked the question in regards to the trailer at the ramp while I was out boating. I was told that I would need two anti-theft devices that were approved by club marine and that all coupling locks do not fit the criteria.

I was also told that photos should be taken of all methods used in the case a claim was needed to be made. Even at the ramp.

I’m hoping other Ausfishers can shed some light on other insurance policies so I can look at changing providers.
    If chains & locks are not deemed acceptable ...... what is ? - I cant think of any way .... particularly at a boat ramp.

I try to jam my trailer against something (post / tree / fence / wall ) which makes it near impossible to move .

I cant stand insurance companies that make things so onerous that it nearly makes it impossible to comply ...... Imagine if car insurance mandated that you are required to use a wheel clamp every time you go out .
    Maybe put GPS tracking on the boat & trailer ..... & use that to deal with a theft

Yeh , I think a little research might be a good thing

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If chains & locks are not deemed acceptable ...... what is ? - I cant think of any way .... particularly at a boat ramp.

I try to jam my trailer against something (post / tree / fence / wall ) which makes it near impossible to move .

I cant stand insurance companies that make things so onerous that it nearly makes it impossible to comply ...... Imagine if car insurance mandated that you are required to use a wheel clamp every time you go out .
    Maybe put GPS tracking on the boat & trailer ..... & use that to deal with a theft

Yeh , I think a little research might be a good thing

Chris
    Yeah Chris,

from some of the Bookface pages I’m on it seems 2 wheel clamps would be sufficient. Not that I’m doing that if I can find another accomodating insurance provider.

What annoys me is the Helmet Hitch coupling lock was endorsed by Club Marine so those that went out and bought this lock (which is not the cheapest coupling lock) have wasted their money.
    Matilda

Blog Entries

I also understand that a thief that wants something will most likely get it. I’m just trying cross all I’s and T’s to ensure I get some coin back to go again if it does happen.
    Matilda

F#%* me. They make it hard for the money they take.
    Maybe welding the boat to the trailer, and the trailer to something solid will satisfy them. With photos and an engineers report for proof it was done professionally!!! Next they'll want you to supply contact details of the thief before they pay out.
    Sent an email asking for acceptable security precautions for a successful claim at home and at a ramp.
    Whatever their response, I'm gonna look elsewhere for insurance.

RACQ is good if you are in QLD. Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I honestly wish we could go back to a more primitive time and treat thieves of boats and trailers just like they did with cattle thieves. Only now we get to put tracking devices on the trailers to make it easier to eradicate the scum
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    RACQ is good if you are in QLD. Cheers

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.This is taken from their policy. Looks like I’ll be changing over on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matilda

Hi Guys

Reading this thread prompted me to re-read my policy document and review the standard trailer storage conditions. Relevant extract from the PDS is attached. I subsequently rang my insurer, Nautilus Marine, who I have been with for the past 12 years. I was assured by their customer service team that I would be covered for replacement trailer cost (up to sum insured less excess) if the Kovix locking system was attached to the tow ball whilst boat is out on the water. This security system is supposedly marine grade stainless steel with an audible tamper alarm. However, I will forward this photo to their claims department on Monday for advice regarding cover and requesting written confirmation. If this response differs from their verbal advice, I will let you all know on Monday. Boat is stored at home behind locked security gates with CCTV security cover as well. I don't believe I can provide any additional anti-theft security within reason. Customer service assured me that they only dispute cover when owners are lax about security, which I guess is open to interpretation. It would pay to keep receipts for all purchased antitheft devices in the event of a claim. Cheers SS
    Attached Images Attached Images