Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coupling anti-theft device no longer acceptable?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Coupling anti-theft device no longer acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Twosheds View Post
    I've just reinsured with Club Marine (May 2021) and after reading this thread I went and had a read of the PDS. I can't find anywhere where it specifically excludes the use of trailer coupling locks.

The PDS does state:
    "Reasonable Precautions Against TheftGood standards of prudence and caution, and taking of measures to prevent or minimise Theft, including but not limited to:

• for trailerable Boats or Personal Watercraft when not in use
      • storing it in a locked garage or locked yard, and activating any alarms, surveillance systems or other security measures available, or
      • where the Boat or Personal Watercraft is left unattended in the open air or stored on its trailer either permanently or temporarily, securing the Boat and/or Trailer to a fixed object using a combination of chains and locks, or applying a wheel locking device on the Trailer and securing the Boat using a combination of locks and chains to the Trailer

• always locking the Boat cabins or compartments when unattended
    • not leaving keys in the ignition or near the Boat, Personal Watercraft or Tender
    • when unattended, storing any valuable movable items such as Personal Effects, Tools, Fishing Gear, Water Ski Equipment, Diving Equipment or mobile electronic devices in a securely locked compartment of the Boat when the Boat itself is not within a locked garage or building.

The key words are "including but not limited to." It does seem to imply, however, that multiple methods should be used where practicable. It does not exclude coupling locks.

My 2c worth

Regards
    Twosheds
    Agree with what you are saying in regards to what’s written. I’d suggest you give them a call as I did. They were clear that a coupling lock only would not be covered.
    If you do call them, let us know and confirm that they’ll give that in writing to you. I’d like to see if they change their mind as others probably would too.
    Matilda

The person I spoke to was adamant I needed to wheel clamp the trailer at the ramp

i Asked for it in writing will see if it comes through

I've had 2 email responses from them. Both a bit ambiguos. Both say a hitch lock is ok by itself, but in my opinion alludes that it alone may not be enough to avoid an additional $1000 excess.

Waiting for the 3rd response to confirm.

If you use nuthin... you get nuthin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I've had 2 email responses from them. Both a bit ambiguos. Both say a hitch lock is ok by itself, but in my opinion alludes that it alone may not be enough to avoid an additional $1000 excess.

Waiting for the 3rd response to confirm.

If you use nuthin... you get nuthin.
    My policy with club marine only said it had to be a properly made bought device, but couldn’t be a chain/ cable and padlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received written advice today from claims team at Nautilus Marine Insurance that a standard coupling towbar lock from Supercheap Auto, Repco etc is a recognised anti-theft device for securing trailer to vehicle at boat ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Received written advice today from claims team at Nautilus Marine Insurance that a standard coupling towbar lock from Supercheap Auto, Repco etc is a recognised anti-theft device for securing trailer to vehicle at boat ramp.
    Thanks for that.
    Anything in their policy about additional excess for theft? Club M will add another $1000 if (when) they decide a hitchlock or anything else used is not good enough.

Had a long chat with them yesterday. They couldn't (wouldn't) even confirm a wheel clamp ensures full cover for theft.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that.
    Anything in their policy about additional excess for theft? Club M will add another $1000 if (when) they decide a hitchlock or anything else used is not good enough.

Had a long chat with them yesterday. They couldn't (wouldn't) even confirm a wheel clamp ensures full cover for theft.
    That’s what I got from them also. In the end I managed 4 different phone calls and 2 emails that didn’t get a reply and got more confused than when I started.

I’ve signed up with RACQ and have confirmation that a single coupling lock (no need for the expensive ones) will cover my tub whether at home or the ramp. A few dollars a month cheaper to and the policy is easier to read……🙄🍺
    Matilda

Thanks for that.

The NM policy document only states that an additional $1000 excess will apply if no recognised anti-theft device from a commercial outlet is fitted to the trailer. Cables, chains and padlocks are not acceptable.

Definition on a Boat Insurer's PDS
    Seems to be a very grey area or an easy escape route for the insurer

Anti-Theft Device means a professionally-manufactured purpose-designed device which has been designed specifically to prevent theft of the Boat, its Motor, Trailer, Tender, Equipment and Accessories. (Note: a chain or padlock(s) is not an anti-theft device).

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    Definition on a Boat Insurer's PDS
    Seems to be a very grey area or an easy escape route for the insurer

Anti-Theft Device means a professionally-manufactured purpose-designed device which has been designed specifically to prevent theft of the Boat, its Motor, Trailer, Tender, Equipment and Accessories. (Note: a chain or padlock(s) is not an anti-theft device).
    Insurers love their grey areas ..... it matches their black hearts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Although I've never built a boat trailer, one of my methods in my trailers is to use a removeable hitch. No hitch - no tow. Unlikely they will carry a spare hitch. I also put a female socket on the trailer as well as the car. Then I make an electrical 'extension' that plugs into both car and trailer. So this means no electrics (brakes) if there is no cable. Both the hitch and the cable are portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    Although I've never built a boat trailer, one of my methods in my trailers is to use a removeable hitch. No hitch - no tow. Unlikely they will carry a spare hitch. I also put a female socket on the trailer as well as the car. Then I make an electrical 'extension' that plugs into both car and trailer. So this means no electrics (brakes) if there is no cable. Both the hitch and the cable are portable.
    I have heard a few times if the trailer has a hitch lock or in your case no hitch the thieves will just drag off by the chains. As for electric brakes I don’t think the crims would care. And don’t underestimate their ability to stake shit out and come back later.

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    I have heard a few times if the trailer has a hitch lock or in your case no hitch the thieves will just drag off by the chains. As for electric brakes I don’t think the crims would care. And don’t underestimate their ability to stake shit out and come back later.

Yep, they just tie it all together with a chain to their towbar and drag it to an industrial estate nearby where they do what they want. I just went through the process of changing my hitch yesterday and realised no matter what I did, if they wanted it, they would get it.
    According to the the local cops I spoke to they reckon most boats can be gone in as little as 2 mins and I reckon even less for a lot of boats I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    Ultimately if they want to steal a particular boat - they probably will ..... I've heard examples of flat bed trucks being used
    What we do to protect our boat is more a deterrent than anything ..... stop the opportunistic theft . The harder you make it , the less likely the boat being stolen.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO