Thread: Moose – guidance please - switch panel

Moose – guidance please - switch panel

Moose – I am reaching out for some guidance.

A few weeks ago you posted in a thread about a type of switch panel - not a normal/usual style but some sort of electronic one and for the life of me I cannot find the tread.

Are to able to point me in the correct direction?

thanks
    steve

Re: Moose – guidance please - switch panel

yep.

are you refering to membrane panel switches ?

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

that's it - thank you are there any better than others

from there you start to enter digital switching world.
    Which is pretty good. but the budget question comes into the discussion early

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

LOL
    HTML Code:
    but the budget question comes into the discussion early
    welcome to boating

Ausfish Silver Member

I tried one of these a few years back. bought from rv&marine in capalaba.
    Last about 18 months and then started playing up.
    ended up putting the old switches back in. (pia getting the panel off,at least the glue worked),
    ps looked the same as the one moose is showing I think it came from samallen.

My main exposure to these style of products was with Empirbus. They have their place for either "bling factor" or restricted access installation. The flybridge charter boat in question had a Furuno navigation suite that basically took up all the available dash space so the switches were fitted over head. As Moose mentioned in his video, in this situation these style of products are gold for the installer. We did have issues with the Empirbus being too smart for it's own good with current sensing but found ways around it. There are several different products with varying capabilities and costs - Relaxn, C-Zone, Empirbus, ARB and probably others as well.

However..............down the track, the owner wished he never fitted them. It cost thousands to replace modules when they started to fail and without a manual over ride to manually switch things on in the event of a failure, large banks of accessories were lost at times. If you utilize all the circuits and only one fails, an entire replacement module is required - not just a $20-30 dollar switch (and that's assuming you went with pretty flash switches) and then there is the availability issue. Loads of places stock switches. Not everywhere will have a modular based system and in the current covid affected retail environment that could well extend right through to the importer. If you travel to remote areas to fish, it's easy to throw a couple of switches into your spares kit. If you go modular I would recommend you do the same.

Code:
    However..............down the track, the owner wished he never fitted them. It cost thousands to replace modules when they started to fail and without a manual over ride to manually switch things on in the event of a failure, large banks of accessories were lost at times. If you utilize all the circuits and only one fails, an entire replacement module is required - not just a $20-30 dollar switch (and that's assuming you went with pretty flash switches) and then there is the availability issue. Loads of places stock switches. Not everywhere will have a modular based system and in the current covid affected retail environment that could well extend right through to the importer. If you travel to remote areas to fish, it's easy to throw a couple of switches into your spares kit. If you go modular I would recommend you do the same.

seems like sage advice