Thread: Flushing Outboard while moored.

Flushing Outboard while moored.

HAve secured great accommodation for a short stay away and the house we are staying in comes with its own wharf at the back door ,in a marina so I was thinking about mooring the boat there for the week instead of launching and retrieving every day..
    Will the wrath of god fall upon me otr the engines blow up into a million pieces if I dont flush them for a week?
    I intend to tilt the motors up and out of the water while moored

Re: Flushing Outboard while moored.

I wouldnt even give it a second thought..

Just enjoy your time on the water and if it does bother you give the motors a good flush out with Salt Away when you get home..

I’ve not had it moored, but I’ve had my boat away for ten days, two weeks at a time. Used it every day but didn’t flush until finished with it.

Fingers crossed I was doing the right thing, but never had an issue.

Enjoy the trip

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

You can always hook the muffs and a hose onto the tilted up motor then submerge the lot and do a fresh water flush in the salt! Been done plenty of times. Keep the fresh hose turned on until you've tilted the motor back up out of the salt.

We used to holiday a month at a time without flushing with the boat used at every opportunity - it's not an issue provided it is washed properly prior to long term storage. I know a couple of guys who never flush their outboards but the boats are used regularly. I would also hazard a guess most (if not all) pro crabbers and netters also never flush motors due to daily use. The big problems arise with lengthy storage periods. As has been mentioned - Salt Away on completion of the holiday is about all I would recommend.