Thread: Replacement motor

Replacement motor

Hello everyone,
    After giving many years of reliable service my 70hp Evinrude 2 stroke looks like needing replacement. I am after some ideas on what brand of motor to replace it with. I would stick with a 70hp but looking at the various reviews, all the brands seem to have some issue or other over time. Seeing Evinrude are no longer made the options are Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Tohatsu or Suzuki not in any order of preference. I am handing the decision over to you. What would you buy?
    Cheers,
    Bill

Re: Replacement motor

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Hello everyone,
    After giving many years of reliable service my 70hp Evinrude 2 stroke looks like needing replacement. I am after some ideas on what brand of motor to replace it with. I would stick with a 70hp but looking at the various reviews, all the brands seem to have some issue or other over time. Seeing Evinrude are no longer made the options are Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Tohatsu or Suzuki not in any order of preference. I am handing the decision over to you. What would you buy?
    Cheers,
    Bill
    Hi Bill, what Hull is it going on and does the hull have a max HP or max weight rating on the plate?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hello everyone,

Cheers,
    Bill
    Its a tough call because they are all pretty much all the same. Some may be a little heavier than others and some may be closer to their max possible hp but others may be rated conservatively for the hp output. Need to look at the pros and cons for your particular boat re size and type of motor

If the boat goes OK with 70HP, the Yamaha is a very light 70, I repowered) for a good mate a Haines centre console that had an old Evinrude 70 to a new Yamaha 4 stroke and the boat is fantastic, better in every way. The Mercury is a great motor, but weighs a ton (75HP) at the moment Honda is offering 7 years warranty which is pretty good, great engine too.

Agree - That light weight 70hp Yammi is a great motor

I originally had it on my 5m Seajay Barramasta - before upgrading to a 100hp ( I was carrying a lot of gear for my camping trips) .

I know a couple of others with the the same Yammi 70 on 4.5- 4.75m boats & they go brilliantly ........ very reliable . It's power to weight ratio is better than even a 75hp ETEC so if you were happy with the old 70 - you'll be impressed with the Yammi

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep, there was/is lots of talk about the motor being "weak" because of its size (capacity) but in the real world, the new motor out performs the old 3 cylinder 2 strokes in every way. My mates Haines is a tiny bit faster (only a tiny bit) pulls a tube just the same, and with the fuel economy, it has increased his range so much that he now doesn't need to extra fuel tank he had to carry.

Mate runs the Yammy on a 5 metre Brooker. Good motor. Runs on the smell of an oily rag.

Ausfish Silver Member

what does your local dealer sell.?(and is he any good).

It would be going on a very old (1978) 5m Quintrex Cruiseabout. I have got no interest in changing it as is still does everything I want to do.The build plate is a bit covered up but it's that old that that the plate does not give much info. I think I was told by the dealer at the time of purchase that it could handle a 90hp but for me the 70 is a perfect size.

In that case my vote is the F70 Yamaha. In the next size up I’d pick Suzuki.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I had a evirude 25 on my last boat, replaced it with a 30hp yamaha. The old 25 performed better than the 30 yamaha in HP and economy.
    Can't say im a fan of the yamahas now.
    Running a honda on my current boat and it is fantastic so far.
    Jack.

Seems to be a common theme in the lower hp range. Suzi's seem to do well in the 30 hp range.

Thanks everyone for you advice. I finished up buying the 70hp Suzuki. The deciding factor was that the Yamaha 70hp is a one litre retuned 60hp and the Suzuki is a1.5 litre detuned 90hp outboard so I followed the "yank" drag racers advice that "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Yes it is a bit heavier but I saved on the extra weight by not carrying the auxiliary that I always carried but never used. Another factor was that the Suzuki dealer is the closest to me. Anyway I have got 9 hours up and couldn't be happier with it.
    Cheers, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I had a evirude 25 on my last boat, replaced it with a 30hp yamaha. The old 25 performed better than the 30 yamaha in HP and economy.
    Can't say im a fan of the yamahas now.
    Running a honda on my current boat and it is fantastic so far.
    The old evinrude 25s were 560 something cc
    the 30 Yamaha cv single carb model was 496 cc
    the 30 Yamaha three cylinder was also 496 but more tourqe with the triple carbs and different cylinder configuration

if you had the cv then Yep the evinrude would have had more grunt it had 10 percent more capacity

hardly a reason to write off a whole brand of engines as all the brands have pros and cons across their hp ranges depending on what blocks they have used for various hp classes

Thanks everyone for you advice. I finished up buying the 70hp Suzuki. The deciding factor was that the Yamaha 70hp is a one litre retuned 60hp and the Suzuki is a1.5 litre detuned 90hp outboard so I followed the "yank" drag racers advice that "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Yes it is a bit heavier but I saved on the extra weight by not carrying the auxiliary that I always carried but never used. Another factor was that the Suzuki dealer is the closest to me. Anyway I have got 9 hours up and couldn't be happier with it.
    Cheers, Bill.
    That would be a Suzuki Swift engine right? My neice bought her swift in 2017 and it has never let her down to date been a great car/engine just one worn out battery

1.5L engine for a 70hp is quiet decent cc