Thread: Melting plastic lures

Melting plastic lures

Don’t judge me
    I got these things ages ago never used them. I think I only bought them because I had a gift card and was curious/sucked in.
    So I was cleaning up after a day out on the water yesterday and opened one of my tackle trays to sort stuff and found these imitation crab things all melted and dissolved.
    I’ve never used them.
    I did have them in the compartment with a couple of plastic fish looking lures.
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the scent stuff may have caused this issue.
    Anyone else have this problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Melting plastic lures

Gulp will eat a lot of other plastics unfortunately, also rusts hooks pretty well.

Thanks Dignity, yes it's strange, the hooks look fine no rust.
    You can see in the picture the dissolved bits in the tackle tray.
    The other plastic fish looking lures were fine, they sort of peeled away in tact.
    I'm pretty sure when I got the "crustacean" lures they were in a box not a sealed bag.
    Maybe the goop on the fish lures caused the problem. Don't know if they were Gulp brand ? Good marketing if it dissolves the competition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plastics are often incompatible with other soft plastics (& rubber / pvc ) - it 's to do with either the catalyst or the plasticiser used .

Always store different types of plastics separately - that includes soft vibes , hybrid lures or lures with soft tails.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    plastics are often incompatible with other soft plastics (& rubber / pvc ) - it 's to do with either the catalyst or the plasticiser used .

Always store different types of plastics separately - that includes soft vibes , hybrid lures or lures with soft tails.

Chris
    Most of my soft vibes went all sticky even though they were in their own section but other plastics were in a nearby compartment. These days I leave my plastics in the packet they came in, have less problems although takes longer to find the one I want.

I keep all mine in the packets in a sleeved compartment for this reason . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Most of my soft vibes went all sticky even though they were in their own section but other plastics were in a nearby compartment. These days I leave my plastics in the packet they came in, have less problems although takes longer to find the one I want.
    That's the plastisol - migrating

The additive used to make it soft over time comes to the surface ........ its why any product with a "soft touch" "soft feel" eventually goes sticky. heat & time are the bane of plasticized polymers .......

agree - the best thing is leave them in the packet ...... it's a pain

certain plastics seem to be ok as long as they are not mixed with others - squidgies come to mind .

I've seen someone literally throw away several hundred dollars in vibes because he just threw them all in together during a trip away ....... Trans ams & thready busters hate each other - what a mess.

I actually keep TBs & Trans am's in their own box

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think I mentioned this once before, but, back in "the old days" when plastics were revolutionary ('70s here) lures like "Mister Twister" were all the rage, and tackle boxes from the US were advertised as "worm proof" most had no idea what this meant, but, put some Mister Twisters in your tackle box, a week later they had eaten through the box and turned it into a coloured melted pile of slime. It's kind of funny how crazes/fads came and went, then resurfaced decades later as being "new" modern plastics are definitely best left in their original packaging. A "gulp" left out just somehow vanishes and leaves you with a bare hook with a small dot of hard as hell material left on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think I mentioned this once before, but, back in "the old days" when plastics were revolutionary ('70s here) lures like "Mister Twister" were all the rage, and tackle boxes from the US were advertised as "worm proof" most had no idea what this meant, but, put some Mister Twisters in your tackle box, a week later they had eaten through the box and turned it into a coloured melted pile of slime. It's kind of funny how crazes/fads came and went, then resurfaced decades later as being "new" modern plastics are definitely best left in their original packaging. A "gulp" left out just somehow vanishes and leaves you with a bare hook with a small dot of hard as hell material left on it.
    Spot on,if you want to store these in a box it needs to be 'worm proof'.The only ones that springs to mind are from Flambeau (sp).