Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need for authorised dealer service

The need for authorised dealer service

In a recent thread the topic of outboard service by a dealer was raised in order to maintain warranty. I had a few minutes ans did a bit of a search in ooogle

I seem to recall that for motor vehicles it is not necessary to have the vehicle dealership service the vehicle as long as the service is carried out by a tradesman and the service and parts documented that the vehicle manufacturer warranty still applies. I understand this is described in No Lessening of Competition legislation under the ACCC regulations.

Over to outboards.
    I see a few of the outboard manufacturers clearly stating that their warranty is only valid if the engine is serviced by their authorised dealer.
    A little research uncovered communication between Yamaha Australia and the ACC where yamaha Australia quote

Purchasers of new Yamaha branded outboard motors are under no obligation to have their motor serviced at a Yamaha Dealer. The Standard Warranty will still be available to those purchasers who choose to have their Yamaha branded outboard motor serviced by an alternative supplier.

The proposed conduct does not have any anti-competitive impact on the purchaser's choice. Ultimately, purchasers have the opportunity to make an informed decision, based on competitive considerations such as quality and price, as to where they have their Yamaha branded outboard motor serviced.

Australia faces competition from a number of other suppliers of outboard motors who offer their own warranty services. These competitors are outlined below. Under the proposed conduct, only those purchasers who wish to gain the benefit of the Extended Warranty will be required to have their periodic services undertaken by a Yamaha Dealer. Further, purchasers are not required to have their periodic services undertaken by any particular Yamaha Dealer. Services can be obtained from any one of the 11 8 Yamaha Dealers across Australia.

I wonder if the warranty advice given by some manufacturers or distributorships is legal and in compliance with ACCC consumer rights or is the above note from Yamaha just their way of doing things that coincidently is what motorvehicle manufacturers have to allow in Australia anyway>

What do you reckon?

Re: The need for authorised dealer service

I e always got more fixed when dealer servicing with cars boats anything else

Not just Yamaha. Mercury is the same as is Honda - you only get the extended warranty through maintaining the service schedule at official dealers. Suzuki are also now promoting a 3+3 warranty but don't put the details on their website. while I get the sentiment, I also get it from there end. Dealers need to make money - end of story. The best way to make that happen and thus maintain a healthy dealer network is to offer incentives that lock in an on going revenue stream which will never be achieved on sales alone.

I get that Scot but wwhat I dont get is the fact that they could be misleading by saying that there is no warrantly at all unless the unit is serviced by an official dealer

When you watch a good mobile marine mechanic do an outboard service, you quickly realise how outrageously expensive dealer services are. All the dealers have to do is come close to the prices that most good mobile guys charge and they will have enough service business coming in.

Some people love the convenience of a mobile service as they don’t have to tow the boat anywhere and pick it up again. Others would think the peace of mind in having the same dealer that sold them the engines also does the servicing, especially in the warranty period and for potential future trade in value to be more worth while.

But the price difference, especially when you were like me with 3 outboards to have service was way too much.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    When you watch a good mobile marine mechanic do an outboard service, you quickly realise how outrageously expensive dealer services are. All the dealers have to do is come close to the prices that most good mobile guys charge and they will have enough service business coming in.

Perhaps but they will sure as hell have a heap more overheads going out than a mobile bloke and have expectations put upon them by the motor manufacturers. The money has to come from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Hoskin View Post
    I get that Scot but wwhat I dont get is the fact that they could be misleading by saying that there is no warrantly at all unless the unit is serviced by an official dealer
    I could see a dealer saying that but I would suspect Yamaha Australia would have a good enough legal team that finding any official documentation to that effect would be difficult. Sure their website doesn't just come out and say it but what manufacturers website does. They are normally carefully worded - for example Mercury never mention what you need to do to maintain your standard warranty - they only refer to the 3+3. Honda only mention the conditions for the extended warranty and car manufacturers typically only do the same thing. If you were a dealer and the manufacturer printed warranty documentation with words to the effect "but we are cool if you service it down the road because it's cheaper" after you had just dropped a large sum of cash into setting up a dealership, what would you think? Me personally - I would be pissed.

To stay eligible for the 3+3 Bonus warranty: Ensure servicing is performed according to the Maintenance Schedule (see below) Scheduled maintenance must be performed by an authorised Mercury dealer and recorded on Mercury’s Engine Service History Log Only genuine Mercury parts and lubes to be used

Personally I like having stuff within warranty serviced by the dealer. My wife's i30 had been dealership serviced since new and the sunroof mechanism jammed a year out of warranty - the dealership negotiated with Hyundai to have it fixed regardless; would have been a $2k repair and cost us nix.

You're not guaranteed of an outcome like that, but there's bugger all chance they would have gone out of their way had we not been a regular customer.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Perhaps but they will sure as hell have a heap more overheads going out than a mobile bloke and have expectations put upon them by the motor manufacturers. The money has to come from somewhere.
    I get that but the difference can be nearly double.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

It's an interesting topic - ACCC rules say that anti competitive behavior is illegal (like dictating that your car or boat has to be serviced at the authorised service center)

the extended warranty is a practice to get around the ACCC rules - you are entering a contract that you agree to - you will have an extended warranty if your service s carried out by the dealer. ...... if you don't then the dealer is under no obligation to honor the extended warranty . The dealers love this - they know very well that the likelihood of a warranty claim is pretty low & they count on making a hell of a lot of money on the back of services being carried out in house ( not for just 3 but 6 years).

People need to realise that - if you service as per the schedule (keeping it within the guidelines) ACCC law also dictates that a product needs to be "fit for purpose" ..... so if your motor dies & you have followed the service schedule - the manufacturer has to fix the problem ..... this could extent to 5 /6/7 years - We need to be mindful of this protection & our consumer rights. I've had a TV repaired under these laws ..... 18 months out of warranty.

In the end you do what you are comfortable with - I use my local Nissan dealer to service my Navara & have done for the previous Navara as well ...... I find that they do a good job , my satnav is upgraded but the biggest thing is I get a loan car for the day . $550 for a yearly (20,000km) service is pretty reasonable .
    My boat ...... gee I better get a service done - I do change the oils myself

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I get that but the difference can be nearly double.
    Yep the cost from a service from an authorized service centre can be more then double...its a rort...

Here is a breakdown of a friends Suzuki 150 service at 80 hours (has to be done after 12 months or 100 hours whichever comes first) so he had only done 60 hours since the 20 hr first service ...

Total is just under $900 with $410 just for labour on a basic service..such a rip off.!

suzuki.jpg

I would be demanding Suzuki gear oil be used and not Castrol oil. Regardless if the oil is supposed to be the same a service at a dealer should allow for OEM products unless requested by the customer.

The cost of the engine oil is double what it can be purchased for from the spare parts department. Yeah its s stitch up.
    I seriously do see the value in having a dealer service and as a business owner I understand business costs however there is reasonable and unreasonable I fear we have all been trained to pay.

I guess to be fair, it needs to be understood what a "service" is, some people think spark plugs, gear oil and filters is a service and have a whinge at the outrageous prices being charged, and indeed, some places (including mobile guys) do just that a couple of filters, engine oil if it's a 4 stroke and charge you hundreds of dollars. A "decent" service, especially at an authorised dealer, can be very different, little things dealers know and check can cause you grief later in left unchecked, a really simple example is the cowl latch on some Yamahas, they are known to seize and snap off, making removing the cowl an expensive exercise, a knowing dealer should remove the catch (and replace it) or clean it and regrease to prevent this happening, a back yarder/cheap arse place won't. There's no doubt routine service can be expensive, and the temptation to do it yourself is real (I do mine) but unless you are prepared to do everything properly, you are inviting issues later on. Water pumps, anodes, thermostats and pressure relief valves all need checking, a computer readout helps identify potential problems, the home handy man who just does an oil change and plugs, then carries on about shop charges needs to have a real good look at what it takes to run a business.

Yeah Noel I get all that..but in my case the mobile guy I use is a trained Honda tech that sometimes moonlights as a motor fitter for a Honda dealership ..

So he can supply, fit and service motors from his house where we live 2 and a half hours away which I paid through the dealership to fit and then with servicing he can use all genuine oils and parts which is charged through the dealership or he can do a service using his own bulk oil at half the price and pay him direct but then the Warranty comes back to 5 years...

and being a honda tech he gets the factory bulletins and knows the motors inside out as he also services the local commercial Honda motors...

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Personally I like having stuff within warranty serviced by the dealer. My wife's i30 had been dealership serviced since new and the sunroof mechanism jammed a year out of warranty - the dealership negotiated with Hyundai to have it fixed regardless; would have been a $2k repair and cost us nix.

You're not guaranteed of an outcome like that, but there's bugger all chance they would have gone out of their way had we not been a regular customer.

YMMV
    Not to steer too far of path but I'm self employed and have a "work car". The last 4 have all been VW and they never see the inside of a dealership once I have picked them up. They are serviced by a local to me mechanic. In 10 years 2 have had to go to a dealership for work. One was outside warranty and needed some intake sensors replaced and the service writer simply fudged the KMs on the paperwork and it went through as warranty and the other time I had them code a spare key for the car which was extra work (it was in for a water pump leak) and again the service writer just adjusted all the labour into the warranty field and I only paid for the part (a key).

The point is I don't necessarily belive loyalty to a dealer in the car industry brings favour. In both cases I didn't ask for anything but was just easy going regarding time taken etc etc and they looked after me.

Matt
    Last edited by shortthenlong; 05-07-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fat fingers