Thread: East Alligator River

East Alligator River

I thought some of you may like to see this.

I was recently in the NT and one day drive out to East Alligator River while in the Kakadu area.

Saw quite a few crocks in the wild feeding on the fish washed over the causeway as the tide rose.

Several people trying their luck fishing, then heard some commotion through the bushes. Went to inspect and found three people high fiving and celebrating their catch (a $20 Rod from k-mart with a cheap plastic as the lure)

I couldn’t believe their catch. After all pics were taken the monster Barramundi (female), 1.15 metres, was returned to the river and swam away

Image1625004804.054133.jpg

Some barramundi chasers have all the best gear and dream of catching one of these. Goes to show that just have to be in the right place at the right time and have luck on your side.

The monster was caught by the young lady on the left of the pic and landed by the bloke holding the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: East Alligator River

Yeah, that's fishing Shakey. I visited the East Alligator river a few years back and saw plenty of crocs, but no barra. After 5 years my PB Saltwater Barra is still only 830mm from the Kimberley😭. Some guys get their metery first cast.😉 Cheers SS.

Nice one shakey...that would have been good to see...

It must be a super barra to get to that size without getting eaten..

I'm not sure but I thought that river has one of the highest concentrations of crocs in the country..?

Nice fish for sure. This sort of stuff happens daily.

Years ago I was fishing a comp with my BIL and due to weather we were confined to chasing estuary fish. Fished hard all day for a flathead or big bream for a total donut only to watch a young kid catch one of the biggest bream I have seen right beside the boat ramp as we returned ................ that's fishing. Good luck will beat good (insert any other thing) on any given day.

not bad hey ? .... it happens

Back in the day of chasing pelagics off the rocks we were at a place called "The ovens" South Whale beach ...... armed to the teeth with Everols / Penn internationals - custom made land based game rods etc - Some middle eastern guy with basically a K mart spin outfit starts to pull on his rod as if it was snagged ..... that snag turned out to be a nice black marlin . Anyhoos he gets the fish next to the rocks & I go down on the lower ledge to try to trace it so we could get a gaff shot - sadly his "wire trace" snapped when the fish was just out of reach ..... of course we all were glad that it happened to this bloke - FFS how dare he come into our domain & insults us with the use of such inadequate gear

We then went back to completing our fruitless mission

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Back in the nineties bloke who's never fished before buys a handline at the bottom shop in Condamine and fishes under the bridge using frozen prawn i think. Leaves it and comes back and pulls in a 30 pounder. Turns out he's caught a yellowbelly which the cod has eaten but then got stuck so when old mate pulled it in the cod couldnt spit out the yellowbelly.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Nice one shakey...that would have been good to see...

It must be a super barra to get to that size without getting eaten..

I'm not sure but I thought that river has one of the highest concentrations of crocs in the country..?
    Disorderly - I believe you are right. It’s actually a known sightseeing location to see crocks on the rising tide. When I was there, two tour buses turned up with tourists wanting to see crocks in the wild.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Feel free to post some pics from your trip up there, mate...
    It never gets old..
    Hopefully one day before I croak I'll even get up there to see it all for myself..