Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twin's Vs Single? Similar Horse Power

Twin's Vs Single? Similar Horse Power

Hey guys any idea how two smaller hp engines would perform on my V19 Caribbean say 2x 60hp over a single 115hp?

My 90hp mercury has cost 2k so far and requires another $700 spent on it, i could flog the merc as is and sell my tinny for a few bob andpossibly get apair of engines like these Honda 60hp

The V19 can handle the transom weight of twin outboards but how would the fuel economy be effected?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Twin's Vs Single? Similar Horse Power

Gazza, i think its hard to draw a single rule around singles versus twins performance. For me the hull is the biggest factor, some hulls love the twins and shrug of the weight whilst a big single works for others. I went from a single 225 v6 yammy, 6 pots for a total of 4.2 litres to twin 140 zukes for a total of 4 litres. Yammy was spinning a 19 3 blade whilst zukes have got 18 3 blades. Boat 6.8 20 degree deadrise platey, heavy boat, big chine so dragging some hull in the water. Yammy was better for top speed but pretty much 1km per litre. Zukes are slower by 3 knots, better on hole shot and 1.1 to 1.2 km per litre. I recon the full width integrated pod (versus conventional pod) is must to handle the weight. Thats what i found on my boat anyway if it helps.
    Scott

Thanks Scott how much fuel was the yam 225 using per km?

I have found a bigger older donk 120hp big block evinrude but they weigh 165kg my 90hp merc 4 stroke weighs 182kg

Those two little honda 60hp would probably weigh a good 250kg as a pair

Im open to all suggestions and advice, i have looked for a couple old evinrude 70hp 2 strokes

Find a 90-115 2000 model Johnson and be done with it or a 115 Yamaha around the same age for 3k and just use the boat

this forum with close before the boats finished at this rate
    and can’t it all just go into one post so the forum isn’t full of your late night new ideas

In very simple terms, twins are more expensive to buy and maintain, twins are heavier, a single is faster, twins will pull the single backwards, fuel economy is very near the same, the boat won't plane on one motor, so if you break down, it's a slow trip home, twins look cool!

If the boat isn't designed for twins ..... then don't do it

What is the advantage for you to go with twins ?

I know my dream trailer boat will have twins - but that is purely because I would be taking it to remote locations / long range trips & that redundantcy factor comes into play

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Biggest worry is breaking down 28kms offshore than drifting untill water police arrive which would be 5-6 hours later so i have heard

Twin engines i would atlease be able to motor back at a slow pace

The good thing about this hull is its the original V19R so it can have a single or duel engines, if i can find 2 old 70hp johnsons in good nick that may be the go

You will need to cut the transom to bits again to fit twins, the chances of floating around on your own 28k out is pretty remote, there will be a dozen boats that will/could/would help.

I was thinking of using a couple jack plates nothing extreme like 12" or 14" models maybe 2x 6" or 8" thetwin engines only have to tilt enough to clear my driveway they wont have to tilt all the way up

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only way I’d consider twins in regards to running modern day outboards is if I had separate fuel tanks for each Gazza. Modern outboards are incredibly reliable in my opinion. Fuel issues on a single tank and electrical problems aren’t going to help a twin setup. From memory you have a single fuel tank that’s 60 litres so I’d be thinking about the viability of running twins regarding maintenance etc.
    Matilda

Hey Ducks if i sold the merc 90 i would have enough funds to pick up 2x 70hp johnson/evinrudes and get a custom 130L fuel tank made

Your Merc 90 still needs another $700 spent on it. Yet you can sell it for enough to buy 2 motors and a custom made tank. Must be a seriously good Merc !!!

talking crap here ......

Hey Gaz .... are you getting pay per post / reply ..... otherwise you're all over the place on this project - either you have the funds to do it properly or you don't ...... other than that you are just wasting our time with your posts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    talking crap here ......

Chris
    3 days ago he said he was getting quotes on a brand new Horizon 525 as well...

Gaz is truly King of the Bullshitters...

At the moment its a wild idea i would like to follow through with but im not sure if it's possible, the trailer has been my focus for right now,

I had a quick squiz at my transom this afternoon as i was pulling the tarp back over the ass end, i haven't gotten out the tape measure but it appears the twins may have to sit partly over my 20inch cut out which may look out of place

The 70's and 80's era johnson/evinrude 70hp engines only sell for about 1000 bucks each and they weigh 130kg each i'm just not sure about steering, linkages or even dual forward controls