Thread: safe Deep Cycle battery charging

safe Deep Cycle battery charging

I am setting up another boat. Its a 4.2m Quintrex Dory
    As part of the set up I want to set up just one battery.
    Powered by a manual start 3cyl 30hp Yamaha with no PTT, I have no need for a cranking battery. I do however need a power supply to run electronics lights and most importantly as 55lb bowmount electric motor.
    I want to power this with an AGM deep cycle battery of around 100ah and was hoping to be able to charge this battery from the outboard. Yes, I know it wont be enough to keep it charged and i have that covered in its down time.
    Can any of the electronic brains trust tell me if the battery can be successfully and safely charged directly from the outboard in the same way that a normal lead acid cranking battery can?
    Is there a need for some sort of regulator to lower the charge rate to the deep cycle?
    My limited understanding of such things has me believing that you cant charge DC batteries directly from an outboard. Is that correct and if so, what do i need to place inbetween the battery and the output to do so without jeopardising the longevity of the battery?

Re: safe Deep Cycle battery charging

It will need a rectifier/regulator - not just a rectifier. I've done it for years with my 15 Merc/hatsu. I fitted an aftermarket unit though - made for motor bikes that can be run with or without a battery in circuit. You just need to confirm that the regulator is big enough to handle the current your stator can output and that at full noise the output is regulated to a suitable voltage as recommended by your battery manufacturer.

Also going on previous post you will need to disconnect the Leccy while charging the battery. I use Andersonp plugs on my set up which means you disconnect the Leccy plug in in the cable to charge the battery and vice versa once you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Also going on previous post you will need to disconnect the Leccy while charging the battery. I use Andersonp plugs on my set up which means you disconnect the Leccy plug in in the cable to charge the battery and vice versa once you stop.
    Forgot that one Sam. Good catch. I just fitted the breaker for the electric on the side of the battery box - just push the button to disconnect. Anderson plugs do account for "oops forgot" though.

Highlighting my ignorance for these things, why is this so?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    It will need a rectifier/regulator - not just a rectifier. I've done it for years with my 15 Merc/hatsu. I fitted an aftermarket unit though - made for motor bikes that can be run with or without a battery in circuit. You just need to confirm that the regulator is big enough to handle the current your stator can output and that at full noise the output is regulated to a suitable voltage as recommended by your battery manufacturer.
    How do i know if i already have one?
    Obviously has some form of charging system but no idea what exactly.

Chargers can exceed what the control boards can handle vintage wise during charging
    failures have been cooked control boards

I do what Scott’s does and fit a switch circuit breaker
    I also have a seperate battery just for the electric to avoid interference on the sounder and if I di manage to forget and flatten the electric battery my nav lights sounder bilge pumps still have a chance to work off the main boat battery

As Stevej mentions, most leccys can't handle the higher voltage while batteries are being charged although I'm sure that will change or may even have changed for new motors. Possibly one of the reasons they don't recommend lithiums as they put out a fairly high constant voltage although there are users who haven't had an issue.

[QUOTE=Coontakinta;1686911

How do i know if i already have one?
    Obviously has some form of charging system but no idea what exactly.[/QUOTE]

Many pull start outboards have a "AC lighting coil" component to their stator as standard. Very few have a rectifier/regulator which is the part that converts the Ac lighting coil to a DC charging system. It is typically sold as an accessory - some being reasonably priced, others - not so much. The rectifier regulator is usually an aluminium looking block with 4-6 wires coming from it that has heat sink fins if it is fitted. I found one photo on line that showed the AC output wires as being a pair of green ones but not sure whether all models use the same colours.

Folks, is this a rectifier?
    Sorry i am a bit stoopid with this stuff but also wanting learn.
    The orange cable is what runs out to the battery. Was the only way i knew what to look for 🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a rectifier I bought for my Yammie 2 stroke..

IMG_2469.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    This is a rectifier I bought for my Yammie 2 stroke..

IMG_2469.jpg
    So assuming what I have is also a rectifier, I just need to add a regulator & I'll be good to go with having just a suitably sized deep cycle battery connected to it and run my electronics and leccie from that battery. So long as I disconnect power to the leccie when underway. Yes?

Yeah that looks like it...A rectifier/regulator just converts the power to Dc and makes it the right voltage to charge your battery..

I'm not sure about charging a deep cycle of it..I just charge mine at home with a 240v charger and yeah I always trip the circuit breaker before charging the leccy batteries..

That orange cable looks suspiciously like 240 V flexible cable.

That orange cable looks suspiciously like 240 V flexible cable.
    Yep, reckon ya right.
    Don't know a lot about electrickery, but seen enough orange extension leads to suspect it probably is!

Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    Folks, is this a rectifier?
    Sorry i am a bit stoopid with this stuff but also wanting learn.
    The orange cable is what runs out to the battery. Was the only way i knew what to look for 藍藍藍藍
    That could even be a rectifier regulator. Looks suspiciously like the one I purchased from a Yamaha dealer to fit to a clients boat years ago (a lot of years so don't take it as gospel). There are also plenty of Ebay specials that look similar. Does it have any part numbers on it anywhere? You need to put a meter on your battery and watch the voltage supplied to a fully charged battery at WOT to see if it will be suitable for your needs. If it is a genuine unit, check with your dealer as to whether it is ok to run with the battery disconnected and check the output voltage. If it's regulated it will stay at charge voltage as revs increase. If it's just a rectifier, without a battery in circuit the volts sky rocket quickly once the revs are applied.