Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ausfisher missing in bay

Re: Ausfisher missing in bay

After the recent spate of fatalities in small craft, get ready for the next round of small boat safety legislation. On the cards will be compulsory wearing of lifejackets and it wouldn't surprise me if GPS epirbs make an appearance for all craft beyond rivers and creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    it wouldn't surprise me if GPS epirbs make an appearance for all craft beyond rivers and creeks.
    I personally would support that.

No issue with it myself Sam. It would cut down search and rescue times and costs by a huge margin.

Another thing worth mentioning for anyone who may be interested is that there are publications that outline basic ship abandonment survival techniques - for some they will appear obvious but under the stress of the real thing sometimes the simple things get overlooked - which is where training and a bit of prior education can kick in. AMSA used to do their own publication which is the one I have through doing my basic safety training but I can't find anywhere on line where it can be purchased. There are others that are revealed with a simple google search.

No issue with it myself Sam. It would cut down search and rescue times and costs by a huge margin.

Another thing worth mentioning for anyone who may be interested is that there are publications that outline basic ship abandonment survival techniques - for some they will appear obvious but under the stress of the real thing sometimes the simple things get overlooked - which is where training and a bit of prior education can kick in. AMSA used to do their own publication which is the one I have through doing my basic safety training but I can't find anywhere on line where it can be purchased. There are others that are revealed with a simple google search.
    It wasn't I Scott but I agree. I have been involved in filming of a fishing show with a local identity and even though I refuse to go in front of the camera I still have to wear a lifejacket "just in case". That plus regularly crossing Caloundra Bar I forget I'm wearing one and usually get back to shore with it still on.

Apologies Disorderly and Dignity. Would appear my eyes need testing.

Ausfisher missing in bay

I would totally agree with Epirbs and lifejackets of some sort as mandatory after this ,an inflatable wearable jacket is at the top of the list for me . I’ve always bought fitted vest type jackets as long as I can remember as a leftover from my waterskiing days as those box ones are not good , basic at best . I just heard from Chuii and he will be right but boy those Facebook turds are judgmental turds .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I would totally agree with Epirbs and lifejackets of some sort as mandatory after this ,an inflatable wearable jacket is at the top of the list for me . I’ve always bought fitted vest type jackets as long as I can remember as a leftover from my waterskiing days as those box ones are not good , basic at best . I just heard from Chuii and he will be right but boy those Facebook turds are judgmental turds .
    Human nature unfortunately. Wonder how many could say they have never put themselves in a position of potential danger under oath? I know I have - only difference being good luck.

No worries Scott..I think most of us agree with you..and as you mentioned, besides your own personal safety an epirb does make great sense to help out the search and rescue guys..

and as mentioned anyone thats spent any time in boats will be able to recount situations they look back on and realize that things could have turned out a lot worse....just that some get lucky and some dont....the ocean can be an unforgiving place at times and things can turn to crap in the blink of an eye...

After reading this thread the missus has just ordered a couple of inflatable jackets for us...i dont like those horrible blocky one either Bluefin...I think they would be a nightmare to spend any time in the water in them..

and yeah FB is just becoming an ever increasing cesspool of bottom feeders and wankers ..

Scott

I’m not so sure legislation is the answer here. Next we’ll have fisheries and water police rocking up and fining people for not wearing life jackets on a glassed out day. That’s not on in my opinion. We’ve already got overly onus requirements as it is. Perfectly good Epirbs and flares getting replaced every period just...... because.

I don’t want to speak I’ll of this particular situation but we don’t need broad brush legislation to cover every mishap. The current legislation should have covered a death in this scenario. Encourage epirbs and flares to be used for sure but to mandate it is to go too far IMO.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Agreed, those with experience and the advantage of hindsight should become safety champions and wear jackets when leaving the ramp. logging on with the local VMR and encouraging others to do so. Regardless of what we think, many fishermen become roale models to a degree especially those with awesome looking boats and all the right gear. The average Joe Bow does use these people as role models. Lead by example so these safety actions become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I’m not so sure legislation is the answer here. .
    But it is the only one that will work. Hands up how many people actually bought an Epirb for offshore prior to them being mandated. Does everyone on here wear a lifejacket for every bar crossing regardless of the conditions. I'll be the first to put my hand up and answer no to both counts. I know just how many Epirbs we were selling prior to compulsory carriage - sweet bugger all. We all adopt the "it will never happen to me" attitude to some extent.

And I had a member here tell me I was wrong by fitting a plb to my offshore jackets

i wear them firstly because it’s the law and secondly I’ve been swept off rocks Rock fishing before
    the wife had bought me a self inflating when they first came out for around $450 and only got it the week before I went in

without that id be cut to shreds pounded against the rocks trying to get in and probably dead

I just paddled swam floated away from the rocks and someone called triple 0 and a surf rescue boat from a nearby beach dragged me in

small boat every one wears them as it’s the law
    big boat on my own, kids, poor swimmers and bar crossings I make sure the self inflatings are in or you don’t come fishing with me

But it is the only one that will work. Hands up how many people actually bought an Epirb for offshore prior to them being mandated. Does everyone on here wear a lifejacket for every bar crossing regardless of the conditions. I'll be the first to put my hand up and answer no to both counts. I know just how many Epirbs we were selling prior to compulsory carriage - sweet bugger all. We all adopt the "it will never happen to me" attitude to some extent.
    It’s one thing to mandate the Epirb but to mandate the wearing of life jackets for adults is ridiculous. I don’t think a life jacket is necessary for every bar crossing scenario and it shouldn’t be there.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    It’s one thing to mandate the Epirb but to mandate the wearing of life jackets for adults is ridiculous. I don’t think a life jacket is necessary for every bar crossing scenario and it shouldn’t be there.
    I'm with you on the life jacket Lovey - hate wearing the things ( try wearing one while swinging a sledgehammer mid summer in Onslow) and only ever put one on to cross the bar if I think it's sketchy. Hopefully it's not an attitude that will come back to haunt me. However, in the last three S&R situations, a lifejacket could well have prevented drownings / disappearances. This is what will be looked at by the powers that be. What other method besides mandatory use do you propose they put forward to​ ensure that people do the right thing and actually put life jackets on. They don't care whether we are a bit uncomfortable. They only care about the costs to the community and to be seen to be doing something to the broader public so they get re-elected. Other states in Australia have blazed the path already. Ours will follow. It will be interesting to see to what extent.

Not a good year for it. Free diver off Flat Rock today

Search for missing diver off North Stradbroke Island | Gold Coast Bulletin