Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Propellers: Anode protection.

Stainless Propellers: Anode protection.

I recommend using your alloy power head as a sacrificial anode to protect your stainless propeller.
    Your propeller will then outlast your motor.

Mercury recognise the problem of stainless propellers and factory fit electronic galvanic protection.
    Some people also fit fresh water cooling with a heat exchanger to their MerCruisers.
    They must want to avoid corrosion in the engine.
    After about 1,600 hours in the mostly warm seawater there was enough corrosion for my precision engine mounts to fail. The engine mounts are at the lowest point of the alloy power where water would pool.
    I wonder how many grams of alloy in the power head were actually damaged by the galvanic corrosion?
    When I was deploying Salinity/conductivity meters in the Gulf Of Carpentaria the high temperatures put the Danish logger conductivities off scale.
    I had to modify the factory settings of the cell constant in my calibrations.
    (Dealer said I was a genius because the factory told him it couldn't be done. I wasn't going to argue. LOL )
    The next model the factory released had my settings.
    Imagine the conductivity of hot sea water in your hot outboard!
    When I was scuba diving to service the CSIRO offshore seawater intakes some stainless nuts were replaced on the 316 stainless studs with 304 stainless nuts by mistake.
    After 6 months the stainless nuts fell apart when we tried to remove them.
    Classic galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. Makes you think.
    MerCruiser recognise the galvanic corrosion caused by their stainless propellers and try and solve it. (follow link below)
    What would they know compared to yapping
    chihuahuas?
    All the trawlers I have worked on that CSIRO have chartered have fresh water cooling for some reason.
    One trawler we chartered was using a war surplus WW2 spot light generator from the London Blitz as an auxiliary. That makes some of that engine over 75 years old probably just the engine block. LOL.
    The three jet boats I have operated all had fresh water cooling.
    I am no longer reading any stupid comments from the know-nothing packs of chihuahuas snapping and snarling at me on this site.
    Quote: "Don't worry about salt water in your power head it just drains out when you stop the motor and anchor. " This the pathetic level of comments have been reading,
    The water in my kitchen sink leaves a film when I drain it. I suppose I could treat it with "Rain-ex". Does that work inside alloy power heads? How exactly would you apply it? LOL
    You can block the Chihuahuas on Facebook. How good is that?
    Apologies to those with intelligent comments you are lost in the flood.

Avoiding MerCruiser Bravo 3 Outdrive Corrosion Problems on Boats | My Boat Life

Re: Stainless Propellers: Anode protection.

This is going nowhere, I'm out......

5a9fec937d8b70ca181d8840faf273c610ffb179975ea6516a5ceeb868f08bd8.jpg

Makes as much sense as starting a third thread because you are feeling butthurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    This is going nowhere, I'm out......
    If it saves one power head it has achieved something.
    If I had never used a Stainless Propeller I wouldn't have had to spent $16,000 to buy a new Four stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    If it saves one power head it has achieved something.
    If I had never used a Stainless Propeller I wouldn't have had to spent $16,000 to buy a new Four stroke.
    Are you a salesman for aluminium props?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Are you a salesman for aluminium props?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you realised people were destroying their motors with stainless propellers would you sit back and have a good laugh? Not my style.
    Are you an outboard sales-person by any chance?
    $16,000 was a good sale plus they even offered to sell me a stainless propeller.

I had an etec 90 2005 model..

Mounts corroded and it blew 2 Emm's ..both pretty common issues with that particular motor..

It had 2 full services over its life...one at 300 and one at 700 hrs ...I loved it and it still ran like a dream till the last Emm blew a couple of years back but I still have it in the shed ..

If I find a cheap Emm for it, I might stick it on the back of 4.5m boat for inshore and island work, stainless prop and all..

You are a born entertainer Bob....almost as much as the Quintrex superfan from a while back...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I had an etec 90 2005 model..

Mounts corroded and it blew 2 Emm's ..both pretty common issues with that particular motor..

It had 2 full services over its life...one at 300 and one at 700 hrs ...I loved it and it still ran like a dream till the last Emm blew a couple of years back but I still have it in the shed ..

If I find a cheap Emm for it, I might stick it on the back of 4.5m boat for inshore and island work, stainless prop and all..

You are a born entertainer Bob....almost as much as the Quintrex superfan from a while back...
    I preferred my two-stroke Etec to the 16 valve double overhead cam 4 stroke I now have.
    Who needs a racing car engine just to go fishing? What a Scam.
    The difference between a Harley Davidson and a 4 cylinder Kawasaki.

Just out of interest Bob, what brand 4 stroke did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Just out of interest Bob, what brand 4 stroke did you buy?
    I did no research at all and bought a Yamaha because my 20 year old trailer was too rusted to tow the boat to another dealer.
    My boat was in with the dealer to also purchase a new trailer. Another $6,000 LOL
    They did try to sell me a stainless propeller.
    At the time I had not even realised the dissimilar metals had destroyed my Etec.
    On another offshore marine project we had some 6 inch plumbing fittings made from Gun Metal.
    The Nuts, Bolts and Couplings were all made from the same metal pour to prevent galvanic corrosion from slightly dissimilar mixes of the gun metal.
    There are a lot of know nothings on this forum.
    Boring but you try to help them .

What’s your views on barramundi eyesite bob

I recommend using your alloy power head as a sacrificial anode to protect your stainless propeller.
    Your propeller will then outlast your motor.
    On another offshore marine project for work ( I also work on Mariculture projects. Apologies for the BIG word) we had some 6 inch plumbing fittings made from Gun Metal.
    The Nuts, Bolts and Couplings were all made from the same metal pour to prevent galvanic corrosion from slightly dissimilar mixes of the gun metal.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Ways your views on barramundi eyesite bob
    100% i thought this was ronje2

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I did no research at all and bought a Yamaha because my 20 year old trailer was too rusted to tow the boat to another dealer. LOL
    They did try to sell me a stainless propeller.
    At the time I had not even realised the dissimilar metals had destroyed my Etec.
    On another offshore marine project we had some 6 inch plumbing fittings made from Gun Metal.
    The mechanic and sales person where you go must rub their hands together when they see you coming. From memmory your motor was 13 years old, in a salt water environment I suspect there were other issues involved but expect some problems to occur and to blame it on a SS propeller is pointless especially where pros who run more hours in a year than you have in 13 years and have no problems speaks volumes.
    Stop trolling this forum please.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Ways your views on barramundi eyesite bob
    I think the effect of electrolysis on preferred lure colour varies with depth