Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New (to me) Boat

Re: New (to me) Boat

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Scott where can I purchase Salt Off SX50? Also is Salt Away readily available and do you wash outside of boat , motor & trailer with this product.

Do you spray water, Inox, Lanox,WD40,or anything over the engine under the cowl? I heard some products damage the wiring so I want to make sure I dont do it any harm by trying to do the right thing.
    tug_telluM
    Salt off is available at a heap of places - RTM, Whitworths and the like - just do a google search for "Salt Off SX50". Can also be purchased direct via their website . I would imagine Salt Away would be similar. The Salt Off is an Australian made product. Salty Captain is a different sort of thing - more a detergent as after application, it gets washed off. The SX50 is the last thing sprayed on the boat or flushed through the motor and is left there as a protectant. I've never used the Salt Away.

I have started lifting the cowl at the end of the day and washing down into the lower engine pans as it's the only way to attempt to wash between the lower pans and the leg. From what I have seen at mechanics, most modern engines have some form of sound deadening inside the lower covers that will hold salt against the leg and the covers themselves make it difficult to get a great volume of water up there. I don't wash anywhere near electricals - just get as much volume of flow into the back area and where possible towards the front.

As for sprays. Experience tells me that WD40 will send the insulation hard and Inox turns it to mush - along with any lower engine pan rubbers. I have switch to lanolin based applied carefully around anywhere that shows signs of rust or corrosion. No problems thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Salty Captain is a different sort of thing - more a detergent as after application, it gets washed off.
    https://saltycaptain.com.au/products...f-engine-flush

You havent found the Salty Captain engine flush to be any good then..?

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    I used that in my iron inboard. Didn't do enough hours to really say but it reminded me of the soluble oil we used to wash the steel workbenches down with when I was a young bloke, so gave me some sense of comfort.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    https://saltycaptain.com.au/products...f-engine-flush

You havent found the Salty Captain engine flush to be any good then..?
    Haven't used it but the other manufacturers make a point of saying "don't wash it off" because you are washing off the protective film. In Salty Captain's
    How to video they make a point of not letting the product dry and washing it off - much like you would with a car wash. It probably works just fine , much like the car wash I have used for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Never used it. It's been around a long time though.

Thanks for the advise fellas. Much appreciated
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    the missus mostly cleans the boat
    I'm in the same boat (see that ) as you disorderly, my missus cleans the boat and fillets the catch when we get home.

We've got a deal, I do everything to get it all ready, and do most of it while out there, she enjoys her rums during the day, then when we get home, I sit back and enjoy the rums while she cleans the boat and fillets the fish... happy days

It's great to see the look on other fishos faces as they drive past (we only live 900m from the ramp) as I sit back and the better half is doing the cleaning.
    Cheers
    Corry