Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Could a Stainless P:ropeller cause galvanic corrosion of an Alloy power head.

Re: Could a Stainless P:ropeller cause galvanic corrosion of an Alloy power head.

This appears to be going nowhere. Although everyone agrees that there can be Galvanic Corrosion in boat parts, you will not convince the group here that your SS prop was responsible for the destruction of your outboard motor.

It’s more than likely bad luck or poor maintenance.

We all feel for you, having been forced to replace the outboard at a cost you were not expecting, but I do think it’s time to give it a rest and move on.

If you don’t let it go, it will eat away at you like Galvanic Corrosion.

Good Luck Bobpen

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Re: Could a Stainless P:ropeller cause galvanic corrosion of an Alloy power head.

Annodes can also be coated with minerals that require them to be removed and scuffed up or cleaned to work

the dams I fish are full of heavy minerals and that also means the towns water is heavy and full of calcium mainly
    when flushing a residue gets left everywhere and is just as much a concern as salt water for me here

destroyed the paint on my classic cars with enamel paint also Etched the windscreens of our cars requiring replacement at 5 yeas old
    plenty of reasons for things to fail most are maintenance related as is probably the case here

Yep, my mechanic removes all the anodes at service time and cleans them, especially any mating services.