Thread: DI on the weekend

DI on the weekend

My mate Mal had holidays planned to start this last weekend so we had planned a trip to DI months ago based on the moon phase and it being June thought we were in for good weather. The Gods must have been smiling because it was pretty well glass out. We left Caloundra about 6:30am Sunday and duly arrived at Tin Can Bay with another mate in his boat, we were lucky in that we got the last 2 parking spaces. We got out through Fisherman's Gutter easy enough and headed for some bait grounds but they weren't playing ball but we had enough in reserve and went on the hunt for fish. Things were pretty slow till lunch time then I managed a really nice snapper around 67 cm mark. Tuskies were very noticeable by their absence although I did pick one up, small though. We kept shifting till eventually we ended up at the grounds that we wanted to fish for the late afternoon. It didn't take long before Mal got a good bite and he ended up with a nice Nanny, things slowed down but we anchored over the ledge to see how it would go and little bit of burley and we were onto some nice snapper. We were a little selective in what we took as we thought we would get more in the morning. Both boats lost some good fish, I had a hit on the way down but couldn't work out what it was as it didn't run hard at all but eventually it did decide to take off and I lost it. When I wound the line in the bottom snooded hook was missing, a clean cut and no abrasions anywhere so not sure what it was. A longtail took Mals line at one stage and supplied us with some very good bottom baits, the other boat got a small Spanish and probably the biggest Mac Tuna I've seen.

After we had some fun on the snaps and the sun was down we went looking for Pearlies, at this stage a 15 knot breeze sprung up and trying to anchor on the spot was bloody hard (can't wait to get a boat with an electric motor up front - only way to go these days) but we got a couple of nice ones before we decided to head for the lagoon for the night. We anchored up and rafted together and between a cold ale or two shared some banter and had a really good nights sleep. In the morning up before daylight, got the bacon and egg wraps going with some hot coffee then off to chase more finny things. We did try some Tuskie areas but they just wouldn't show up to the party. At one spot I got a really nice Grassy only to have Mal pull in a nice 72 cm Snapper. More snapper all around 45 cm kept coming and we had to send them back as we were on the limit and that is not what we were after.

On the way home we decided to hit the Pearly Spot again and we got a couple more keepers although we were plagued with undersized ones, seems the bigger ones are night clubbers most times. Both boats got hit hard with some fish, a reasonable sized cod landed but most just got their own way. I only got sharked once but none of the others did which seemed strange unless it was a big Spanish or Wahoo. It was time to head home and a good time was held by all. The weather was good both Sunday/Monday except for Sunday evening yet when we got to the lagoon it had disappeared. Back at the ramp lunch time.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210613_091522.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	124073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210613_152804.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	124074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210613_170718.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	124075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210614_062230.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	124076  

Re: DI on the weekend

Nice report mate.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Nice one, & a good read

Blog Entries

Nice one Sam

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great read, well done, sounds like an awesome trip out
    Cheers
    Corry

Sounds like a good trip well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welldone Sam, some nice fish and the weather make it an even better trip.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh