Thread: New trailer advice

New trailer advice

Guys,
    Needing some advice here. I went to take the boat out over the weekend, after getting her ready did my usual walk around and noticed the dreaded rust getting into one of the welds. On closer inspection and giving her a gentle tap with a hammer, discovered as in most cases, the rust was a lot worse and decided the trailer was not safe to use. After a lot more inspecting and prodding, have made the call that she is beyond saving and need to be replaced. Now i have never needed to replace a trailer before and dont know where to start. Boat is 3.9m in length, fibreglass tiller steer. How do i go about this in making sure it is suitable for my boat? Skids?, rollers,....a big unknown to me. Dont want to purchase a replacement to find the boat don't sit right on it.....
    Cheers,
    JN

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: New trailer advice

There will be more responses I'm guessing that'd be more help than I'll be as I built my last trailer out of the salvageable parts (which didn't turn out to be too many) from the buggered trailer, and I'm about to build a new one from scratch in the next 6 months, but as far as buying one that's suitable, I'd start with ringing the suppliers, Mackay/Swiftco etc and see what their recommendations are.
    It'd also pay to talk to someone who custom makes them, not sure if it could be more economical to have one made to suit. I've always leaned towards wanting a trailer with no moving parts these days rather than having multiple rollers and hinge points etc., but not sure if that would suit a glass boat.
    Good luck, interested to know what path you decide to go down.
    Cheers
    Corry

If what you have has work for so long just buy another the same roller setup wise

dunbier Mackay will all have something to suit

Best advice, don't be fooled into buying a trailer that's way too small (because it's cheaper) look for an Australian made trailer if you can find one, with decent sized wheels, try to get one that not made out of square/rectangular tube, C channel or I beam are way better, but cost more and not easily found. Of the mass produced "off the shelf" trailers, Dunbier seem to be at least OK

Just to kind of add something, if you look around, there's hundreds of old Brooker and Jawa trailers still in use, made from C channel and some are 40+ years old and still original.

Check out Spitfire aluminium trailers. I bought a large one a few years ago which is doing great. Similar price to a steel one. I like that they use rubber torsion axles instead of leaf springs. I see their website even lists DIY aluminium trailers if you want build your own.

Thanks all,
    I have a solution. A good friend stopped by and had a look at the trailer. He is an experienced welder and has some time on his hands a new Welder that he is wanting to get familiar with. I get the materials, and he will go to work for me. I couldn't say no after checking out new trailer prices with second hand ones also up there in price with the current climate. Thanks to all who replied.
    JN