Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 90 Etec Corrosion from Stainless propeller???

Re: 90 Etec Corrosion from Stainless propeller???

Look up galvanic corrosion before you post again.
    Stainless is stronger.

Was it 1600 or 400 hours?

Just for clarity cause #### this thread could use some.

Matt

The anodes were lightly corroded. What is your point. The looked liked they were doing something obviously not enough then.
    Do you think Stainless propellers don't cause corrosion?
    It is blindingly obvious that stainless props cause galvanic corrosion just look at the MerCruiser Post and why they factory fit electronic protection.
    The last 4 services were by dealers.
    My post was intended to warn owners of stainless props, How are you helping?
    Avoiding MerCruiser Bravo 3 Outdrive Corrosion Problems on Boats | My Boat Life

The engine hours were 400 but I turn it off when I am anchored for some reason.
    The boat was floating in seawater for 1,600 hours or so. Clear enough?
    Hot or warm seawater in the power head for 1,600 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Was it 1600 or 400 hours?

Just for clarity cause #### this thread could use some.

Matt

Which anodes are you referring to?
    The ones on the leg or the ones inside the powerhead?

My bet is the ones in the powerhead have never been replaced.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Ok, which anodes are you referring to?
    Stainless props will not cause powerhead corrosion....think about it.
    The water intake is before the prop....the used water passes out through the various holes in the water jacket and exhaust channels.
    At no point is water that goes through your motor in contact with the prop until it is discharged.

Stainless for the most part does not corrode because it is stable in salt water.

If the prop was the cause of your problem there would be visible marks on the prop.

Your mechanic spewed bullshit in your direction and you sopped it up plain and simple.
    My mechanic called the corrosion problem before he took the head off.
    He sees a lot of motors.
    He just said I didn't flush it enough and tried to sell be a stainless prop for my new motor
    Stainless is protected by the Aluminium in the motor. The Aluminium casting of motor is one big Anode.
    The same way the Aluminium in the motor is protected by the Zinc or Magnesium Anodes.

Is it blindingly obvious to you tens of thousands hundreds of thousands of people don’t have issues with stainless props
    and if you Google it you find next to no examples of your issue

if your annodes wernt breaking down from use then something was not causing them to do their job

people have put more running hours on their engines than you have just floating there with no issues
    what did brp say when you asked the manufacturer about your perceived negligence of them fitting a stainless prop

several brands have known issues of water galleries blocking up but a reputable dealer will know when to pull the covers off and clean it out

There’s no doubt corrosion caused your issue. There is a lot of doubt about your hypothesis that a stainless prop caused it. I recently had a blockage in my 2008 Suzuki. That engine had been bought new and religiously flushed. Actually half it’s hours were probably spent on the muffs at home. Yet the water jackets were full of salt crystals, sand and other deposits. After flushing vinegar through it I was shocked to see what was left in the bottom of the bin.

Just because you did the right thing as far as user maintenance, had it dealer serviced and still got corrosion in a 13 year old motor doesn’t make it any more likely that the prop was the cause. Especially considering you have a stainless prop shaft and other stainless parts in the engine that are far closer to the head/block than the prop is.

Yes galvanic corrosion could have played a part. But far more likely is that salt deposits built up in a crevice or against an impurity in the casting and did its work whilst it was out of the water than the prop turning your block into a massive anode. Especially considering the anodes on the block weren’t showing signs of severe corrosion over the years that should have raised an alarm if it was an acute galvanic corrosion event.

Considering others are saying the same engine has known issues of corrosion in the same place, that also leads to a more likely reason.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Dr Google, Professor Google, HRH Google, Really, so much mis info there. I changed mechanics several times due to them giving me info that when deep research showed they were spouting garbage. One mechanic I thought was great wasn't, that was when I changed my domicile and had to get another one after most of my wiring had burnt off most of the insulation. Turns out there were several changes the Merc had issued as major updates for several years that just didn't happen, result as described.
    The last time I looked at a prop either SS or Ally, there was a rubber bush between the prop itself and the splined hub that went onto the SS spline coming out of the motor gear box, I'm pretty sure mine there is some bronze in that bit maybe something else but I'm in agreement with the majority, your mechanic is spouting something that is not kosher.

Edit: Corrosion is rampant in lots of motors for many reasons, be aware of anyone that can point the finger before doing a proper diagnoses, I'd even change doctors on that basis.

Ok Bobpen....which ####ing anodes are you referring to?
    I know fully well what galvanic corrosion is....
    You have stainless steel in your water pump for starters as well as dozens of other places in your engine.

You either never had the powerhead anodes service / replaced or you were lacking basic engine flushing procedures.

Was your corrosion galvanic or just alloy decay???

Get you head around that.
    Jack.

QUOTE=Bobpen;1686681]My mechanic called the corrosion problem before he took the head off.
    He sees a lot of motors.
    He just said I didn't flush it enough and tried to sell be a stainless prop for my new motor
    Stainless is protected by the Aluminium in the motor. The Aluminium casting of motor is one big Anode.
    The same way the Aluminium in the motor is protected by the Zinc or Magnesium Anodes.

[/QUOTE]

Which is it Bob - Galvanic or didn't flush it enough. If indeed your dealer did tell you that it simply wasn't flushed enough - I agree with him. It's also critical to outboards that they be run regularly - even if it's just at home on the hose during long periods of down time. This is when the most damage is done in a low hour motor

As a marine maintenance employee, I am pretty familiar with galvanic corrosion. If indeed your theory held water, please explain why permanently moored aluminium vessels - fitted with anodes to protect them, simply don't dissolve around their own stainless steel drive shafts and bronze propellers - not to mention your theory behind engines with aluminium props that this happens to as well. I would suggest you do a bit more research on just how anodes work. The reason your anodes were only lightly corroded - they only did 400 hours - a grand total of about 17 days actual work. Even if it was 1600 hours - do you really think a motor with a stainless propeller - fitted with anodes for protection - is going to be in the same condition as your old E-Tec in just over two months if left sitting in the water 24-7. Hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of outdrives and ouboards around the globe would tend to indicate no. The math simply does not add up. Corrosion due to residual salt, moisture and air however - goes 24-7 and will do all sorts of damage over a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    Again. When the engine is shut down, the powerhead drains. The telltale outlet means the system is not sealed and gravity takes care of the rest. There is literally no connection via water to allow galvanic corrosion within the engine itself without the engine running. However - there is most definitely salt being baked onto the metal by residual engine heat that fresh water flushing alone will not remove.

[QUOTE=tunaticer;1686691
    You either never had the powerhead anodes service / replaced or you were lacking basic engine flushing procedures.
    [/QUOTE]

Not sure Evinrude has ever run internal anodes in the powerhead. Once the water leaves the leg, there is no other metal besides aluminium it comes into contact with. There have only ever been anodes in front of the prop, on the transom bracket and above the steering torque tab or the tab itself on any of the OMC/BRP motors I've had anything to do with.

They don’t have anodes in the block like Yamaha/Suzuki do?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    They don’t have anodes in the block like Yamaha/Suzuki do?
    Not any of the motors I have ever owned or had to work on. OMC always had pretty good metallurgy. From memory there was a big court case against Yamaha for copying their alloy at one stage way back.