Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 90 Etec Corrosion from Stainless propeller???

Re: 90 Etec Corrosion from Stainless propeller???

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep, kind of agree, I have seen hundreds of boats with stainless props sitting in salt water, and not one ounce of "fizzing" to be seen.
    Hard to see corrosion in the power head. You should try.
    If people want to take the risk of using a Stainless prop good for them.
    My new motor is much more refined than the Etec.
    Since 1970 I have worked with outboards, inboards, jet boats and a hover craft and never seen corrosion like this.
    Of course the only one with massive corrosion happens to have a stainless prop.
    Huge coincidence that Zinc anodes don't protect against Stainless then?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Just entertaining the theory for a second, can you explain why the prop would have eaten out the powerhead instead of the gearbox anode directly in front of it or the aluminium in the leg right next to it. Your mechanic is an idiot or a blatant lying crook if that is what he is telling you.
    The seawater in the powerhead is hot and the water flow would keep the surface fresh for more corrosion.
    My dealer had nothing to gain.
    He predicted the corrosion before we pulled the powerhead off. Previous experience?
    The corrosion was massive and the anodes were only mildly corroded.
    We were going to patch the water jacket but the engine mounts were beyond patching and had already cracked.
    I don't have a problem with stainless props as I no longer own one and never will.

So did a dealer service it or not, simple question
    400 hours in salt according to etecs manual states yearly servicing and replacement of annodes
    300 hours is fresh only

This link is pointing to corrosion on the leg adjacent to the propeller which is where you would expect it. Ie nothing about powerheads. Also it referred to moored boats. You need an electrolyte like saltwater for galvanic corrosion to occur. Isn't yours a trailer boat?

Sorry to hear of this happening it’s pretty crap really it certainly adds another reason not to touch these motors IMO ,is it a known problem on American boats surely if it was a regular problem there would be some info on The Hull Truth forum. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ok, which anodes are you referring to?
    Stainless props will not cause powerhead corrosion....think about it.
    The water intake is before the prop....the used water passes out through the various holes in the water jacket and exhaust channels.
    At no point is water that goes through your motor in contact with the prop until it is discharged.

Stainless for the most part does not corrode because it is stable in salt water.

If the prop was the cause of your problem there would be visible marks on the prop.

Your mechanic spewed bullshit in your direction and you sopped it up plain and simple.
    Jack.

could be as simple as it never ever had anodes in it , dealer forgot to install them , someone else forgot to put them in , and boom your dealer is a physic called it before he saw it , think you got taken to the cleaners big time friend sorry about that it happens
    S/S prop theory rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    I have solved my problem. I have an aluminium propeller. You can take your chances, Not my problem.
    My anodes were corroding nicely thanks.
    The 400 hours were only the hours the engine was running the time fishing at anchor could be 4 times that lets say 1,600 hours with hot or warm seawater in the power head.
    Same as being moored for 2 months in seawater.
    Anodes cannot protect against corrosion caused by stainless just look a the electron flow.
    Feel free to use stainless propellers.
    If I sold outboards I would recommend them.
    Anyone else be warned your anodes won't protect you.
    Hard to see corrosion in the power head. You should try.
    If people want to take the risk of using a Stainless prop good for them.
    My new motor is much more refined than the Etec.
    Since 1970 I have worked with outboards, inboards, jet boats and a hover craft and never seen corrosion like this.
    Of course the only one with massive corrosion happens to have a stainless prop.
    Huge coincidence that Zinc anodes don't protect against Stainless then?
    The seawater in the powerhead is hot and the water flow would keep the surface fresh for more corrosion.
    My dealer had nothing to gain.
    He predicted the corrosion before we pulled the powerhead off. Previous experience?
    The corrosion was massive and the anodes were only mildly corroded.
    We were going to patch the water jacket but the engine mounts were beyond patching and had already cracked.
    I don't have a problem with stainless props as I no longer own one and never will.
    Few points - Evinrude anodes have apparently been pure aluminium since 1990.

Your powerhead drains when sitting fishing so any "galvanic" corrosion had to occur in the 400 running hours.

The two engines I have had personal experience with that suffered water jacket corrosion were both running aluminium props.

Not sure who told you zinc doesn't protect against stainless but I think they are wrong otherwise every aluminium shaft driven vessel that is permanently moored would be on the bottom. The only metal I know of more reactive than zinc that is sometimes used is magnesium but it's only ever used in fresh water. Remember the aluminium in your engine isn't pure - it's an alloy. It's all in a Galvanic table.

Evinrude engine mounts do seem to have an issue. This problem was around before BRP took on evinrude though. Personally I think they simply hold salt against the alloy which causes the corrosion to kick off. I had similar issues with plastic fittings that allowed water to get trapped - essentially setting up crevice corrosion on rail mounts for rod holders on my last tin rig.

Did you run a flush additive? My old boy was fanatical with flushing his engine - and it was one of the two I have seen fail with alloy props. Holes from two cylinders through to the water jacket. In my experience, fresh water alone simply does not remove all the salt - even more so when potentially it is baked on after a hot engine is shut down. Even after flushing and a comprehensive wash and while stored in a shed I have seen my personal boats and engines "make water" as residual salt pulled moisture from the air in wet weather. Left sitting this will set up a corrosion pit which is near on impossible to then stop in my experience. The longer it sits out of use, the quicker it happens. With Dad's it could be attributed to a two year break courtesy of a serious back injury where the motor sat without being run. The addition of a detergent additive ( I have used a non corrosive car wash run through the motor for years and have recently started with SX50) definitely seems to make a difference.

Don't drop the ball on keeping an eye on internal corrosion simply because you have gone back to an alloy prop. It's been killing outboards of all brands for years regardless of propeller choice and will continue to do so.

Mercruisers come standard with Stainless propellers and factory fitted electronic corrosion control.
    I think that says it all don't you?
    Avoiding MerCruiser Bravo 3 Outdrive Corrosion Problems on Boats | My Boat Life

Mercruisers come standard with Stainless propellers and factory fitted electronic corrosion control.
    I think that says it all don't you?
    Avoiding MerCruiser Bravo 3 Outdrive Corrosion Problems on Boats | My Boat Life
    You put that up before - perhaps you didn't see my comments: This link is pointing to corrosion on the leg adjacent to the propeller which is where you would expect it. Ie nothing about powerheads. Also it referred to moored boats. You need an electrolyte like saltwater for galvanic corrosion to occur. Isn't yours a trailer boat?

I find it extremely odd that anyone could come to the conclusion that a stainless propeller mounted to a stainless propeller shaft could cause corrosion to the head/block of an outboard. It’s more likely that an aluminium propeller mounted to a stainless propeller shaft will corrode than than the prop causing engine corrosion. If that was the case, why would outboard manufacturers use stainless propeller shafts?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post

Evinrude engine mounts do seem to have an issue. This problem was around before BRP took on evinrude though. Personally I think they simply hold salt against the alloy which causes the corrosion to kick off. I had similar issues with plastic fittings that allowed water to get trapped - essentially setting up crevice corrosion on rail mounts for rod holders on my last tin rig.
    Totally agree with this. My 90 corroded out the mounts, but a new inner and outer exhaust housing plus mounts and I was away again.

The corrosion was only in the power head. The outside of the motor was immaculate.
    !3 years old. Looked immaculate until engine mounts failed.
    Yearly leg oil change turned to $16,000 new engine.
    So were the mounts corroded or the exhaust housing or the powerhead?

I think the corrosion occurred during the 1,600 hours I was using the boat either running or anchored in salt water and the power head was full of hot or warm salt water.