Thread: Standard boat length measurement

Standard boat length measurement

Hi all was wondering whether there was a standard process for measuring boat length by manufacturers or whether it varies by manufacturer? Thinking it is based on the waterline length?

In needing a HIN certificate for my boat it was measured as 6.55m despite being a 6.2. Measurement was stern to front in straight line (not bending to follow hull) and didn’t include bowsprit etc hence my assumption a waterline length was employed by the manufacturer. Happy to take the extra foot, can’t be too big

Re: Standard boat length measurement

Most manufacturers measure boats in ways that suits themselves, some models used to be (say) a 5.5 m then next year, without changing anything, that same model is a 5.9 or more, there is a correct way, but there is no law as such.

I once had 2 tinny's get a BIN and they just ran a tape measure the length of the boat just in a straight line

Some measure around the gunwale from the corner of the transom to the bow. Some include the pod if it has one to the bow sprit if it has one.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

I wish there was a standard way accepted to measure, as when I was looking for a new boat, it was extra work to determine which brands measured which way .

For example the Barcrusher dealer quoted me on a 670 so as to make a valid comparison of the brand I ultimately got which was sold as a 625...LOA of both was 670..

A friend has a 460 Quintrex which is registered as a 440 because the rego fee increases by more then double at 4.5m.

There seems to be a bit of sneaky stuff goes on in the boat industry in which regulations are not very well enforced....people need to also be aware that some dealers will quote on undersized trailers as boats around that 6m length can be right on that 2000kg mark, which in QLD means under 2000kg is much cheaper then a higher rated trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes on all wheels...it also means that some unsuspecting boaties are towing overweight by the time they have a bit of gear, fuel and water in them...

BTW Jarrod, who measured your boat length for the HIN certificate...?

There is a standard way to measure length for HIN purposes, but boat manufacturers can choose to use whatever they like for advertising purposes (provided it's not false or misleading advertising).

Per the SA fact sheet linked below, the HIN length measurement is from "the point of the bow to the transom excluding bowsprits, motors and other appendages" - other states have the same definition (though wording may vary slightly).

https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...sel-Length.pdf

That said, my HIN states 5.18m where I've measured it at 4.88m per the method above, so...

Local Yamaha dealer I’ve used for a while measured for the HIN, they also sell new boats. I asked them about it given it measuring 350 more than the factory length despite excluding bowsprit etc and they said the HIN measurement (for NSW) was exactly as what Mopheus said

Marine Safety Qld state:

"As per Chapter 1, Section 6 of the#Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation 2016,
    #length for registration of a vessel in Queensland is taken to be “the distance measured from the foremost tip of the hull to the aftermost part of the hull, excluding appendages”
    #
    In practice this would be the length of the vessel excluding bow sprit and dive platform.
    ".

Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Transire vinus forticulus