Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to move a boat sideways

How to move a boat sideways

I have a narrow driveway and a short but wide yard. I need to move my boat , (5.5 Sailfish ) sideways in the yard so i still have access to the shed. Thankfully the concrete is super smooth and flat. Has anyone had any experience with those Go Jacks like they use on the racing cars? I wonder if I will be strong enough to push it by myself?

Ive thought about one of the powered jockey wheels but they are noisy and slow and I would have to lift a heavy battery every time I wanted to move the boat.

Any thoughts?

SCA_128776_hi-res.jpg

Re: How to move a boat sideways

Hey Brett the recommended battery for my mini mover 2 is 20ah so quiet a small battery but yeah the movers are noisy

I guess those car mover gizmos will work, but you will need one for each wheel, and something to ensure the jockey wheel will move freely too, or the boat will just twist around the jockey wheel.

I move my camper trailer around on a pair and the jockey wheel. Works fine on concrete both smooth and exposed aggregate. The Sailfish will be heavier but I think you would be able to do it. That said I don't use them much any more as after a year of practice I can generally get the camper close enough to the wall just backing it in then swing the drawbar

Matt

Used two on the car trailer on the rear axle as it was a twin
    installed a heavy duty jockey wheel and could push by myself the trailer and a car on it sideways across the shed
    that was super smooth concrete though

would push the back across then go to the front and push the drawbar across if that makes sense
    no effort or straining and roughly 400kg of trailer and 900kg of car

Yeah, i have thought of this too. I think I might be able to wiggle it across or ill have to put a couple of anchors in the ground and winch it somehow..

Oh I thought the battery needed to be biggerr.
    Im worried about the noise and bothering the neighbours especially if I decide to go out on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Brett the recommended battery for my mini mover 2 is 20ah so quiet a small battery but yeah the movers are noisy

Thanks for the heads up. I think these are the best option> Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Used two on the car trailer on the rear axle as it was a twin
    installed a heavy duty jockey wheel and could push by myself the trailer and a car on it sideways across the shed
    that was super smooth concrete though

would push the back across then go to the front and push the drawbar across if that makes sense
    no effort or straining and roughly 400kg of trailer and 900kg of car

I use them on my boat. They work great.

Used 4 to push a 6.8 Senator hardtop around with a couple of blokes. Solo would be a bit of an effort. Might need a hand winch or similar as well.

A mate uses four under his 6.2m stabi and pushes it over no problem

Heres my mini mover 2 pushing my tinny i guess u could insulate the mover to make it more quiet

wouldnt want to be in a hurry

Go Jacks can be your friend
    We use the two types at home, the hydraulic foot pump for the signature 543, spin it 180 and poke it back in the garage, then the dish type lift the boat/trailer with a trolley jack, for the sons ally boat and push it sideways.
    The dish ones we got from syds tools, but the casters are shit so replaced them with better shit ones from the green shed.
    With the big boat we also use a 12v jockey wheel and yes it is slow, BUT your not pushing it, so when It's doing it's thing you have time to reflect on how sore your thumb is and not how sore your back is.
    When all the casters line up you can almost push with one hand, also the battery for the powered jockey wheel can be of small amp hours but enough to do the job between charges.
    So yes I would recommend these sort of things for this sort of predicament.
    Regards Mark

Hi Bob,
    thank you for the reply. hmmm Maybe a combination of both might be the best measure. The jacks with the Hydraulic footpump and the powered Jockey wheel.
    hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfromblacky View Post
    Go Jacks can be your friend
    We use the two types at home, the hydraulic foot pump for the signature 543, spin it 180 and poke it back in the garage, then the dish type lift the boat/trailer with a trolley jack, for the sons ally boat and push it sideways.
    The dish ones we got from syds tools, but the casters are shit so replaced them with better shit ones from the green shed.
    With the big boat we also use a 12v jockey wheel and yes it is slow, BUT your not pushing it, so when It's doing it's thing you have time to reflect on how sore your thumb is and not how sore your back is.
    When all the casters line up you can almost push with one hand, also the battery for the powered jockey wheel can be of small amp hours but enough to do the job between charges.
    So yes I would recommend these sort of things for this sort of predicament.
    Regards Mark