Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whale Danger

Re: Whale Danger

gazza2006au back on the ignore list...it is no wonder you have problems here.
    Jack.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-30/nsw-person-dies-after-boat-hits-whale-in-la-perouse/102920208

Poor bugga's..!
    I wonder what happened here..?..Early news reports say the whale struck the boat and flipped it rather then the boat hitting the whale..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Oh wow, opened this up, didn't look at the dates, and thought Gazza was back

Yep, whales continue to be a concern when travelling, we had a close call a couple of months ago, definitely changed the way I'm driving, at the time we were changing settings and watching the sounder pretty hard, lucky we had kids in the boat that were watching where we were going and started yelling out 'whale, whale, whale'
    Cheers
    Corry

Saw one north of Yepoon many years ago it looked like a up turned boat from a distance but when we got close it was just sunning itself in the shallows , would not like one catching my anchor rope .

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Saw one north of Yepoon many years ago it looked like a up turned boat from a distance but when we got close it was just sunning itself in the shallows , would not like one catching my anchor rope .
    And if it was before the sun came up it would look just like a swell. The number of times running up near the Breaksea just before dawn and looking out for swells that don't go down was amazing, it was like threading a needle. Do recall a scene as the sun set a tinnie off Caloundra was drifting past us about 30 m away, all of a sudden a whale breached beside them. I'm sure we heard the their undies changing colours, definitely heard the call to get the bilge pump going, a few minutes later they headed back to port. Another time off Bribie we were flicking for snaps and I saw this huge whale heading towards us from a km away, said to mate he was headed dead for us. He said he'll dive before he gets to us, nope, 150m away and mate decides that just maybe we should move, we did and the big beast went straight through where we were fishing. Eventually it dived about 500 m beyond us.

There's definitely a hell of a lot more of them around now and you do need an eye out for the big males, their testosterone levels are pretty high on their return voyage.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Just recently we came across what looked like a dead whale. Slowed right down and passed it. The thing starts to move, definitely not dead. I thought maybe it was calving. I never knew they have a camp on the surface. And it didn't go anywhere, just did a bit of flapping, i guess it was a sign "go away, I'm sleeping lol". And it was only about 100 meters off the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    I never knew they have a camp on the surface.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    whale11112.jpg

Yeah it must be very tiring for them to nurse a calf on the long journey to FNQ and then back down...

A few years back this one was trying to take a nap just a couple of miles off Mission Beach while the calf was darting around it.

We were beside it for 10 minutes or so and it didnt move at all..just the occasional breath from the blowhole to let us know it was still alive..

Looking into the sun on a choppy day it would be very diificult to see them while they are sleeping low in the water like that..

Yeah, they don't feed from the time they leave the Antarctic to their return is my understanding although those in the northern hemisphere do. They must be pretty nackered by the time they get back and I think it's nearer to home where the killer whales will be waiting for them.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell