Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale Danger

Whale Danger

I have heard of a few incidents where a whale has become entangled in an anchor rope but this is the first time I have heard of a breaching whale actually landing on a boat..

https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...fac6e7ad7005e0

Poor bugga's...Lucky it didnt sink or capsize the boat...

Re: Whale Danger

Wow that’s scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, they were always my greatest fear when travelling in the dark.

Come close to hitting a couple, recall one popping up in the middle of Break Sea spit during a crossing. I saw a whale breach within 10 m of a tinnie fishing off Caloundra at dusk one year. The motor was started and they left the scene very quickly. We also see them asleep, they're like teenagers, play up till about 2am then sleep on the surface till about 8am, look just like another swell at first except it doesn't move. Need lots of eyes on the water this time of year.

i saw the damage to the Byron one whale chaser they harpooned one big bull it turned charged the boat smashing planks in the bow they had to lock the front section off it didn't sink but took a lot of water

The guy was doing 20 knots 37kph in whale season in whale territory no sympathy for the driver!! Hes young passenger is in a coma i feel for this kid and i feel for the whale that is likely sliced apart and possibly drying

Yeah it is pretty scary and it does make travelling in the dark this time of year extra risky....and Dignity I agree that they can be hard to spot when sleeping...there isnt much of them visible above the surface when they are just lying there and being a dark colour they do blend in very well..

and Gazza, you remain a moron..

It certainly did a number on the topsides of the boat....just very lucky below deck wasnt damaged with them ending up in the water before being able to alert authorities...it might have been a different outcome for the pair..

whale damage.jpg

whale damage2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    i saw the damage to the Byron one whale chaser they harpooned one big bull it turned charged the boat smashing planks in the bow they had to lock the front section off it didn't sink but took a lot of water
    When was that mate..? and what else do you remember of it..?

Did they process them in Byron or Ballina..?

There was photos going around a few years back, I whale had presumable swum under a ship or large boat, with a number of cuts on the back of the whale, easily seen from the air. That whale was swimming fine, I don't think a whale has a lot to fear from an 18 footer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...coast/12801660

no more it was a long time ago they processed them at Byron bay whaling station my grand father used to tow them into the jetty at byron they were filled with air he would tow them from julian rocks

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The guy was doing 20 knots 37kph in whale season in whale territory no sympathy for the driver!! Hes young passenger is in a coma i feel for this kid and i feel for the whale that is likely sliced apart and possibly drying
    it breached and landed on the boat injuries would have occurred at any speed, even drifting

tell us what speed should they have been doing ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    it breached and landed on the boat injuries would have occurred at any speed, even drifting

tell us what speed should they have been doing ?
    If we need to stay 100m away maybe they need to tell the whales to do the same. As for speed maybe if old mate was going faster he may have avoided it. But at the end of the day it’s just very unlucky, hopefully old mate will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    no more it was a long time ago they processed them at Byron bay whaling station my grand father used to tow them into the jetty at byron they were filled with air he would tow them from julian rocks
    Thanks for the info and the link...its all very interesting ...whaling ceased at Byron in 1965 but was still happening in WA up till 1979....

Although I eat animals on a daily basis its hard to imagine what it must have been like to harpoon a whale and watch it die....I just love seeing them when we are out on the water...

Bremic, it looks like he got hit pretty good to leave such deep impressions...