Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silevr Stag

Silevr Stag

https://www.dlttrading.com/silver-stag-alaskan-fillet
    Worthy of Purchase ya reckon ??..

Re: Silevr Stag

I am not a fan of blades longer that 6". I find I don't use a lot of the blade.

I Have bought a number of knives from DLT, I can't say how many as my wife may read this.

I have three of the below of this knife.

https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-rive...hari-sportsman

And one of these

https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-rive...hari-sportsman

I had a trip to 1770 recently, I filleted 20 hussar a handful of parrot, one red and a snapper with a handful of other randoms. All filleted with one of Bark Rivers Kalahari Sportsman knife, the knife required no steeling or sharpening through the process, still had a usable edge once finished.

Bremic , thank you for your reply and good to see someone beside me enjoying a Good Blade or two or three. I dont mind the longer Blades though i would have prefered the Stag in an eight or seven inch but i am Happy to use whatever i feel does the job well without forever Steeling to the fact i no longer steel a knife and just strop after a filletting session'
    It was the D2 Higher end Carbon with the Rockwell hardness that swayed me. Just need to see if these Knives are as good as they rave them to be and if they offcourse really do come razor sharp to start with as ive never seen a sharp knife to my likeness staright out of the box ey.
    have no shartage of knives and if i keep going the way i am , me thinks i will have to have a facebook sale lol..
    You find Shipment from DLT swift ??.
    Cheers and again thanks .

The Bark River knives I have bought were sharp, but there was plenty of room for improvement. I don't mind though, a couple of hours with stones, wet and dry, and a strop to be quite therapeutic

I have always found them DLT swift, one thing about the yanks, I find their customer service to be very good. How long it takes for delivery will be up to the various couriers etc that we have to deal with now.

yep, the yanks are quick, I ordered some fittings from the states, all packaged and posted and via 4 different checking sites and landed within 4 days of ordering, cleared customs Saturday 5th early morning and handed over to our super swift couriers who have said it will arrive on 15th, another 10 days. It only has to travel from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast.

I also don't like long knives, they are ok for skinning but my preference has always been a 7" blade. If you get one Volvo, let me know how it goes as I am in the market for a good knife, my collection is still quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    yep, the yanks are quick, I ordered some fittings from the states, all packaged and posted and via 4 different checking sites and landed within 4 days of ordering, cleared customs Saturday 5th early morning and handed over to our super swift couriers who have said it will arrive on 15th, another 10 days. It only has to travel from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast.

I also don't like long knives, they are ok for skinning but my preference has always been a 7" blade. If you get one Volvo, let me know how it goes as I am in the market for a good knife, my collection is still quite small.
    Will do for sure mate , Bought the longer blade as that was the only option with the Silver Stag Knife otherwise have to go through Silver Stag themselves and will have to do that if this one comes up trumps i will get the simmilar Blade in the seven inch.
    Reason for the stag is ive been viewing them for quite some time due to the blade material.
    Also have never had a blade to what i deem sharp straight out of the Box so a run through the waterstones will tell me what they are like and then edge retention will be the next interest,
    You cant get away from paying for good steel and its something one should use at home for filletting otherwise it may get a tad expensive if they go over the side lol.
    That Uncle Henry Filleter i purchased that i posted in another post came up the goods for me especially for my Whiting just for Filletting and skinning with the one knife "Luv It".
    Get another Stag and i will have to have a facebook sale get rid of all the other Knives in my possesion lol as ill never use them in this or the next lifetime no matter how hard i Fish lol.
    The longer blade suits me for some of the species here and again using the same blade for the whole process .
    Doubt mine will arrive soon as i paid the extra for some engraving , but happy to wait and will certainly let you know what i think of it ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    The Bark River knives I have bought were sharp, but there was plenty of room for improvement. I don't mind though, a couple of hours with stones, wet and dry, and a strop to be quite therapeutic

I have always found them DLT swift, one thing about the yanks, I find their customer service to be very good. How long it takes for delivery will be up to the various couriers etc that we have to deal with now.
    DLT certainly has a range and will suss them out more ,as for Stropping If you have some old jeans laying around the house take a drive to Bunnings and buy some Balsa app size or some softwood offcuts from thei disposall Bin and make a couple of denim ###### .
    I have ###### all over the place here and i now go to my Denim ###### more than the leather after a filletting session.
    One strop clean and the other with 0.25 paste , my blades never see steeling no more .
    New Blade goes through a four to five stage wetstone progression as i find it rather therapeutic also beside that razor sharpness at the end .
    Another arena i always drool through is waterstones lol.
    Forgot to ask , DLT indicate what the Knives you purchased , what the steel makeup was ??.

Dont know why they edit the Word "Strop" ###### in my posts ??.

Theryago only when ya have more that one lol..
    Try Stroppppppppppppssss see how that goes .

I will keep the denim in mind. I also have a small collection of ######

The larger of the two knives I linked was CPM S35VN. I have never liked this steel, it is difficult to sharpen and blunts quickly. Maybe they buggered up the heat or something.

The smaller knives were N661 Bohler. This steel has been easy to sharpen and seem difficult to blunt.

I also have one with Elmax, that is the best steel I have had, Seems to hold an edge better that anything, can take a bit of work if you let it get to blunt though.

As an aside, another shop that helped enable my collection is "Knives Ship Free", as with DLT Trading, they are easy to deal with, customer service is great.

Its said that sometimes the higher the Rockwel hardness of the blade the harder or longer it takes to sharpen as well as not all Waterstones will do the task if the bladesteel is of high end hardness.
    One of the blades y oo u mentioned in your collection i noticed had an RCH of 62.5 i think being a tad harder than the D2 Steel.
    Only knew that by the site you posted as they had some very formative info regarding variouse steels.

That's a work of art that thing - too nice to get fishy 😅. Not for the "purist" as such but a while back I purchased a cheap fixed angle sharpening system and a set of diamond stones to suit. The edge achievable is ridiculous and the diamond stones seem happy to put an edge on pretty much anything. I do finish with a 2000 grit stone and a quick strop on a leather belt. Check the edge by shaving with it.

Scot nothing wrong with angle systems mate , have tried just about everything with sharpening over the years lol.
    Yes Knife looks good lets just hope it fits the hype , be good to put it over my stone collection see good a blade it really is ey.
    It will propably take a possy alonside the other well thought if blades waiting to be handed down to welcome hands in the Familly lol.
    Not after it passes a couple of tests on a good fish first .

Any advice on learning to sharpen a filleting knife for someone who has no idea?

I had my knives sharpened by a butcher and managed to keep them 'ok' with a steel for a few filleting sessions however couldnt get them back to what he had them at no matter how hard I tried

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It is not difficult, just need a bit of practice.

You will need a sharpening stone, preferably one with a coarse and fine on one side or the other.

Typically, you will start with the coarse side, once sharpened with the coarse, move onto the fine side.

I generally sharpen with the knife blade at approximately 20 degrees to the horizontal. Slide the knife along the stone for ten or strokes, then turn the knife over and do the same on the other side.

Youtube would be worth having a look at. You will likely understand my ramblings a little better, after watching a couple of videos.