Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silevr Stag

Re: Silevr Stag

Scroll down the Tackle n Accessories page n you will see a thread "Schrage Staglon " i started awhile back.
    Top knife mate but might be tad linger blade than what your looking for ??.
    My favourite Whiting blade for the time being.
    See em onlline between 45 n 50 bucks or thereabouts ??.

Thanks Volvo, I bought an Uncle Buck, $40 delivered.

Now I just need to find a fish to use it on.

Chappie

You need to go Fishing to do that lol.

Tracking No sez its on its way to Happyrock if i have any fingernails left be the time it arrives sigh...

Has arrived 😀 , beuty as advertised though nowhere near as sharp as they say it would be straight out of the box.
    An hour on a stonset had it sharper than any razor ive owned , mindyou the first stone ( a400) struggled with the steel so had to drop down to Cerax 320 which played with it without argument .
    Took awhile to form the bevel and a burr i was after
    But persisted and moved up to a Naniwa Chosera 800 , 2000 , 3000 , 5000, and finished of with a 12000.
    Will upload pics when i drop them into my PC.
    So far all in all i love this knife but time will tell how well the blade retains its edge ??.

As it arrived
    Attached Images Attached Images

Followed by the all the following Stones .
    The Cerax 320
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 800 , 2000, 3000, and 5000 among the Stones shown.20210714_113317.jpg

Finished off with a 12000 and offcourse a Strop though Strop not shown.20210714_112655.jpg

And must show one of my favourite Stones being the Naniwa 2000 which the blade also played with :}..
    20210714_111620.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Finished off with a 12000 and offcourse a Strop though Strop not shown.20210714_112655.jpg
    hard to see due to photos being from my Phonecamera but the bevel of the blade is mirror finish , hence the 12000 stone finish /Polish.

Volvo, where do you get your fine stones?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lovely , my stone purchases range from a host of outlets ranging from Fleabay to Beard and Blade ,Chefknivesto go and Especially Japanese Tools Australia whom i cant speak highly of enough.
    They have helped me get Stones i was specifically after in the Brick size especially like the Cerax 320 and 1000 , these particular stones cut really well but will also dish if you dont flatten them as you go which meansloss of material but do the job well.
    One gets a feel of which stone they individually prefer ,eg which stones give feedback and cut to your liking.
    Not that i havent enough stones but one more wouldnt go astray akin to Rods and Knives lol , maybe two more being the Suehiro 5000 and a 20 odd K stone ive been keeping an eye on .
    These finer Stones will last a Lifetime if your not sharpening on a professional level and must have a hand down for your stones ..
    Myself sharpening is a passion and a relaxation i find works ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Lovely , my stone purchases range from a host of outlets ranging from Fleabay to Beard and Blade ,Chefknivesto go and Especially Japanese Tools Australia whom i cant speak highly of enough.
    They have helped me get Stones i was specifically after in the Brick size especially like the Cerax 320 and 1000 , these particular stones cut really well but will also dish if you dont flatten them as you go which meansloss of material but do the job well.
    One gets a feel of which stone they individually prefer ,eg which stones give feedback and cut to your liking.
    Not that i havent enough stones but one more wouldnt go astray akin to Rods and Knives lol , maybe two more being the Suehiro 5000 and a 20 odd K stone ive been keeping an eye on .
    These finer Stones will last a Lifetime if your not sharpening on a professional level and must have a hand down for your stones ..
    Myself sharpening is a passion and a relaxation i find works ..
    Thanks for that. I did a review of the Edge Pro sharpening system a while back. The lower grit mini stones have the same dishing issues as all low grit stones would. Their mini stones top out at 2000grit. By starting firm on the 2000 grit then slowly backing the pressure off the result is a perfect mirror finish on 2000. I can't imagine a blade getting any sharper than that. Do you really notice any real performance difference when you go all the way up to the 12,000 grit?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Most certainly do , mindyou my sharpening is freehand sharpening and have no issues with edge pro or any other sharpening systems that bring about an appropriate edge on a blade.
    I also notice difference after i finish sharpening on a Strop , little noticable diferences that make the blade cut smoother and easier at days end ..