Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silevr Stag

Re: Silevr Stag

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Any advice on learning to sharpen a filleting knife for someone who has no idea?

I had my knives sharpened by a butcher and managed to keep them 'ok' with a steel for a few filleting sessions however couldnt get them back to what he had them at no matter how hard I tried

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Some good advice from Bremic there mate , Get on Youtube and look up Peter Knowlan vids , "Knife Planet" and you will find some very usefull advice there.
    Peter is an Expat living in Canada and knows what he is talking about as well as makes things easy in the World Of Sharpening .
    Then there is Burfection which is also quite helpfull.
    But at days end before spending heaps of $$$$$s if your interested in waterstones or whicher kind of stone it may pay youi to just purchase a two sided stone , coarse on one side and fine on the other to get you going.
    Elcheapo Tray for soaking your stone in if thats the way you want to go and a sinkbridge from scrap timber at you local Bunnings store which should cost more that a couple of $$.
    Otherwise an old towel on a Brick for holding your stone steady and away you go on the learning curve.
    Angles ??, i find each blade has or likes its own angle and easy to find buy laying you blade flat on the stone and push or pull your blade , "Blade Trailing " that is the edge or apex of your blade moving away rather than into the edge of the blade very slowly and as your blade finds its own angle you will feel it bight.
    Do this a couple of time till you get the best feel of where the blade want to bight in and that will be your Blades angle.
    If there is one thing i can pass on regarding stone sharpening that would be to develope muscle memory within your hand/Fingers and feel the stone and blade working .
    Wont go on too much for fear of confusing you mate , Look at those Vids and any help or advice just ask on here and it will be done ..
    Types of stones /Sharpening Systems /Blades etc is a Personal thing and dont get too hung up on it for starters, Like most of us we have spend our dues chasing the perfect Holy Grail re Blades and stones lol.

Thanks guys awesome info, I'll let you know how I get on!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

feck still waiting for my Stag to arrive !!??, posted on the 8th of June and still not here . hardley a fingernail left for anticitpation !!~ lol..
    Reckon too soon a wait or shoulda been here by now ??..

Shipping is diabolical nowadays. Could be on the slow boat to Au. Auspost doesn't help either.

I had an item sent from the Gold Coast to Brisbane and then to Sydney and eventually made its way back to Sunshine Coast.

DLT used to provide tracking information, so you could see where it was.

Probably sitting in customs waiting it's turn.

I've been looking for a tiny filleting knife. I have a short one from Victornox but its quite stiff. I'd like something similar but has a bit of flexibility. Like capable of filleting medium sized whitting by going over the ribs bones.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Comming from the States , propably sitting in quarantine !!??.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I've been looking for a tiny filleting knife. I have a short one from Victornox but its quite stiff. I'd like something similar but has a bit of flexibility. Like capable of filleting medium sized whitting by going over the ribs bones.
    Lovely, i use a small rappala or Martini sharpened really well when i butterfly my Whiting and no probs whatsoever , otherwise i fillet ,remove ribcage and skin when doing Whiting and findit quicker that way for me personally.
    Suss that rappalla and martini might come out of the same mould so would go the less expensive knifi..
    Amazon have a range of filletting knives also of diff sizes..

Thanks Volvo, I actually went to the Martini home shop in Helsinki to pic the exact knife I needed back in May but due to COVID restrictions the shop was shut. I could see the one I wanted through the window but couldn’t get to it.

Put the Uncle Henry over a 3,000 & 5000 stone first time since purchase today.
    Not that really needed it but like feel of a freshly polished blade lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Thanks Volvo, I actually went to the Martini home shop in Helsinki to pic the exact knife I needed back in May but due to COVID restrictions the shop was shut. I could see the one I wanted through the window but couldn’t get to it.
    See Fredys has a store Special at present and they stock martinis and rappalas..Might be something there ??...

Or ?? just came across this lot three and in case although not too sure about the steel quallity although does have a RC of 56 in hardness??..
    A 5", 7" and 9" knives ..
    Just thought ide let you suss the dancos out ??.

better Still here are some of your smaller martini Blades at not a too bad a price ??.
    https://www.knifeshopaustralia.com.a...s.html?pgnum=2

2 succesfull day of Whiting Fishing and put all Martini, rapalla , rapalla Lookalike ex Aldis and near sure all come out of the same shed ?? as well as The newly aquired Uncle Henry and at both days end have to say for me the Uncle henry comes up Trumps for Filletting Whiting whether its fillet ,remove ribcage and skin or straight out fillet whilst over the ribcage and then skin..
    Mind you all Knives are winners filletting Whiting but just favoured the Uncle Henry is all ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    2 succesfull day of Whiting Fishing and put all Martini, rapalla , rapalla Lookalike ex Aldis and near sure all come out of the same shed ?? as well as The newly aquired Uncle Henry and at both days end have to say for me the Uncle henry comes up Trumps for Filletting Whiting whether its fillet ,remove ribcage and skin or straight out fillet whilst over the ribcage and then skin..
    Mind you all Knives are winners filletting Whiting but just favoured the Uncle Henry is all ..
    got a link to the knife you are talking about?