Thread: Echomap Plus 95sv – how to make G3 Vision shaded relief work on this unit?

Echomap Plus 95sv – how to make G3 Vision shaded relief work on this unit?

Ok - looking for help on from my earlier thread

Echomap Plus 95sv – will G3 Vision shaded relief work on this unit? (ausfish.com.au)

My mate has purchased the the G3 card and put it in the unit and we can not get the shaded relief to display - the higher resolution depth contours do display.

He has not updated the software to the unit since he bought it and I am arranging that today. (he didn't know of how a micro SD card was within the SD card and was about to head of to buy a micro sd card.)

Will the updates automatically allow the shaded relief to display?

If not - what settings would I be seeking to use - my sounder is Lowrance and I have no familiarity with Garmin Units.

just try to help him get the best from what he purchased.

thanks
    stevet

Re: Echomap Plus 95sv – how to make G3 Vision shaded relief work on this unit?

Steve, you need to find the previous threads on this topic. My internet is playing up and lucky this is getting through. The relief maps need to be downloaded on your phone as the GPS units don't have the processing power or storage to do it all. You then have to use WiFi to get the maps across to the unit. Good luck.
    Sam
    Try this post
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...Relief+shading

thanks Sam - I will try that

All through active captain

I believe so. Give Anyweather a query, he did it recently, he did say it was challenging.

Some simple steps to follow to access Relief Shading.

1. Register your Chart Card using Garmin Express ( which is Downloadable ), make sure you use the same email address that you plan/have used for Active Captain.

2. Now Download the Garmin Active Captain App from App Store.

3. Login to Active Captain (using the same email address as previously used at step 1)

4. Go to Chart, Select the Menu, Download Charts.

5. You should now see your registered Garmin G3 Vision Chart.

6. You can now begin to download the small mapping tiles after reviewing the next point.

7. You will require large amounts of Hard Drive space so if you mobile is a 16 GB or 32 GB model you will be very restricted to how many tiles you can download! Best model mobile phones to use are the 128 GB and the 256 GB if you want to download multiple G3 Vision Charts.

8. Go to your compatible Chart-plotter and from the Home page select Settings.

9. Then select Communications followed by Wireless Devices.

10. Insert your SD card into the Head unit remembering you will require a large amount of free space for the downloaded information maximum allowed SD card size is 32 GB.

11. Then select WIFI Network, turn on WIFI the Wireless name of your product will appear so you are now able to connect to your mobile phone & begin to transfer the information over to your Head unit.

12. Monitor the Active Captain App on the Garmin Device and Smartphone to see the progress of the transfer.
    this may help cheers COL

Does anyone know if the bathymetric charts are more much accurate then the standard G3 charts..?and are they on par with the locally provided Bathymaps..?

https://bathymaps.com.au/

In our area of FNQ the depth contours on the Garmin charts are often horribly inaccurate..its seems bizarre that such a studied area of water like the Great Barrier reef is presented with such shit mapping..

So far we are just learning to use bathymaps for $88 a year including a fair bit of info and vid's about what to look for, identifying paleochannels etc ...marks can be created and i think downloaded and added to your GPS unit..

The bloke I’m fishing with up here runs his bathymaps via an iPad and marks up stuff on his gps as we go ,it seems pretty accurate to me just have to look around a bit then spotlock on some spots as they are quit small targets but fish well . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The main thing I think is to only download 2 tiles at a time. They take quite some time to download and then upload. I did mine through my phone and I reckon each tile takes about 30 minutes each. Initially I tried to do like 10 tiles and it never did anything.
    Disorderly, I maybe incorrect but I think the relief shading only goes as far north as Mackay at the moment.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Lee, I think it is available up here...at least the missus said she saw Ryan Moody discussing it in a wonky hole video...

here is a video on " Step by step instructions on downloading Garmin relief shading".

It is a certainly a production and a time consuming one at that to set up the shaded relief

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Does anyone know if the bathymetric charts are more much accurate then the standard G3 charts..?and are they on par with the locally provided Bathymaps..?

https://bathymaps.com.au/

In our area of FNQ the depth contours on the Garmin charts are often horribly inaccurate..its seems bizarre that such a studied area of water like the Great Barrier reef is presented with such shit mapping..

So far we are just learning to use bathymaps for $88 a year including a fair bit of info and vid's about what to look for, identifying paleochannels etc ...marks can be created and i think downloaded and added to your GPS unit..
    Agree the depth/contours on g3 are hit and miss. The relief shading maps however are accurate as far as large contours/structure go where I fish. On par with bathy maps too. Well worth the update!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Agree the depth/contours on g3 are hit and miss. The relief shading maps however are accurate as far as large contours/structure go where I fish. On par with bathy maps too. Well worth the update!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Geez I just dont like keeping on forking out more money to the Garmin gravy train when they will probably provide an upgrade in a year that will cost even more dough.....particularly when they cant even get it right in my area..

Hi all - got it done

Just a note to thank you all for your contributions and guidance. the link to the video was such a great reference - invaluable

thanks
    steve