Thread: Rod storage on the way to the ramp

Rod storage on the way to the ramp

The other day I jumped into the boat after loading it to go for a fish and stepped on 2 rods a destroying a few runners.
    The boat has 22 rodholders but I cant really put the rods in them for the drive to the ramp. How do you guys transport your rods?
    Im thinking I might be able to set up a rod holding system under the hard top but not sure how secure they will be.
    What are your thoughts?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Rod storage on the way to the ramp

Attachment 123965
    I use these mate. I think they are called Combing racks. I have one either side of the boat and my tub being a centre console, has a lean to seat that has 4 additional rod holders although I rarely take more than 3-4 rod combos these days. These are the Bell marine brand Combing racks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matilda

Decent rod storage is always an issue, even when travelling to fishing spots in the boat, rods left in rod holders get continually sprayed with salt water, hooks, sinkers and lures can come unhooked a fling around, sinkers and lures bang against blanks all day, and left in rod holders on the trailer invite getting hit by road side trees, and even stolen at servos and the ramp. A rocket launcher can be drama too because of the height, storage like the one pictured seem to work well, even if you have to get something custom made to suit your boat.

I use horizontal racks in the side pockets with covers on all my reels.

I leave them in the car till I get there

I have had gear stolen from the boat in Sydney at traffic lights especially when going to rozelle
    what ever you use make sure the buts are a snug fit as the rear grips get knocked around with all the movement

I feel your pain ...... breaking rods like that sucks

I've got a 4 rod combing rack & am thinking of adding another - that will take care of 8 rods when travelling & i get another 4 under the gunnels .
    As for security (not having them pinched at a servo etc) you can use coated wire with a crimped loop & wrap them around the reel stem or trough overheads & pad lock them)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep, it's easy enough to secure rids in the holders, there was a lot of rods being pinched from boats there for a while, but it seems to have fizzled out now, not a fan of having them in rod holders while traveling on the trailer, I have followed boats and seen then whipped by trees, not to mention being "spooled" (I know that one from experience)

Simple way is to make rod holders that fit inside side pockets if you have them...copied this idea....bought some teflon cutting boards ex Kmart etc cut them to shape with a large hole in one and a small hole in the other and alternate underneath ..rods slip in easily and are out of the way....If using on longer journeys I wrap insulating tape around the rods where they could otherwise rub....holds four rods $10.00 max.

As far as any of the rod in the air storages go....someday somewhere tears will flow as Noelm said....funny thing last April.....fishing off Allens Head at Mallacoota....hooked and landed a brand new sienna rod and reel set....shop sticker and plastic still on the handle.!!!..how did it get there??????Probably bounced out of a holder on a rough day I reckon...

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'm keen to look into the same type of rod storage that my Hobie has. A tube that goes through up the front that the tip of the rod goes into, and a horizontal bracket for the butt end. The tube is of a length and size that I can leave lures on them, poke them up the tube and they don't sway around, or catch on anything.
    Of course this would only work if you have a front casting deck or the likes.
    Cheers
    Corry