Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-B Weld to fix a plastic carburetor cover

J-B Weld to fix a plastic carburetor cover

Hi all,

I have a Johnson 15 HP made in 89. The highlighted corner of my carb snapped off. The result is on pic 2. This corner holds the cam follower which is connected to the throttle. It was an embarrassing break down on the water.

The carb cover seems to be in good condition. I serviced the carb a few days ago. The reason for this issue is that I lost the washer between the carb cover and the screw holding the cam follower. The screw went in too deep. The replacement carb cover would cost me about 200$ including delivery. So I think about using J-B Weld to glue the snapped corner. Has anyone done a similar job? Is it going to hold?

small.jpg
    pic 1.

mine.jpg

pic 2

Re: J-B Weld to fix a plastic carburetor cover

Gluing that type of plastic will be useless, surely you can find a second hand part if the original is so expensive, have you tried a decent dealer for a price?

There is a glue which autobarn used to sell, I no longer have any but it came with a small bottle of powdered crystal. It worked on most things, where you needed extra strength you sprinkled the crystal immediately onto the join, ended up looking like it was welded. About $35 for a very small bottle but it worked really well. From memory it was called Bondsall, I still have fittings where i fixed years ago in service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    There is a glue which autobarn used to sell, I no longer have any but it came with a small bottle of powdered crystal. It worked on most things, where you needed extra strength you sprinkled the crystal immediately onto the join, ended up looking like it was welded. About $35 for a very small bottle but it worked really well. From memory it was called Bondsall, I still have fittings where i fixed years ago in service.
    Was it called Rapid fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Gluing that type of plastic will be useless, surely you can find a second hand part if the original is so expensive, have you tried a decent dealer for a price?
    Do you mean a dealer selling new and used boats as the one below?

https://www.huntsmarine.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    From memory it was called Bondsall, I still have fittings where i fixed years ago in service.
    Maybe this glue? https://www.bondsall.com.au/

The problem is the type of plastic, that is almost the same stuff they make stirring sticks out of that nothing sticks too, it's a specialty product that is made to be able to be used in a mould, be fuel and heat resistant and is a kind of "one use" product.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The problem is the type of plastic
    You are probably right. I watched a few videos reviewing the glue and how magical it is but the result depends on the material as you said. I wish I could find a second hand part but there is nothing online. I will keep looking.

I bought some super strong plastic glue from bunnings to hold a drones propeller on the glue was given 48 hours to fully cure the prep was acetone wipe and sanding than glue applied to the prop and the motor its still stuck on there today

Quote Originally Posted by portjacksonday View Post
    You are probably right. I watched a few videos reviewing the glue and how magical it is but the result depends on the material as you said. I wish I could find a second hand part but there is nothing online. I will keep looking.
    Give Arizona outboard wreckers in NSW a call, they will have the part and post it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by portjacksonday View Post
    Yep, that's the one. Works well. I found that plastics that others told me would never glue did and still haven't parted company. Don't discount gluing as an option.

Thanks. I called them. They don't have the carb cover but I found another part I ordered from US a month ago. If I knew about them, I could have saved a bit of money.

Another good wreckers is far north queensland outboard wreckers they have had everything i ever needed

portjacksonday ,Have you tried the super glue + carbsoda trick ?You can get a good understanding of what I mean from utube there are a couple of videos . Basicall you "fillet" the break if you can (chamfer the inside edges of the break (or outside but not both), super glue the parts together so they are held in position, then flood the fillet with super glue and add carbsoda trying too keep the carbsoda as wet as possible (with superglue) add as much carb soda as you can and if possible build it up on both sides of the break. Leave for a dew minutes ( it will dry incredibly fast) It will look pretty messy but you can file/ abrade the superglue/carbsoda after it dries. The join should be stronger than the original plastic. You need to have a small "shovel" handy to drop the carbsoda onto the superglue I made mine with a shaved down icepole stick (a clean one).
    Hope you get what I mean but troll thru utube I am sure you will get the idea (baking soda is carbsoda ).
    Frank

I contacted a few outboard wreckers. They didn't have the cover. So I used the J-B Weld plastic glue and added a cable tie for extra strength. If it snaps off again, I will insert a piece of paper to get back to the boat ramp. No big deal.

Attachment 123980