Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J-B Weld to fix a plastic carburetor cover

Re: J-B Weld to fix a plastic carburetor cover

I wanted to follow up on this J-B Weld project. I used the engine once for entire day. It ran fine with no issues. Then a week ago I checked the cover and it was hanging by a thread. The broken piece was loose and held only by the cable tie and rubber like patch of glue. No doubt two more uses and it would tear apart. So I decided not to try other methods and ordered a replacement cover from the US.

Regardless of what the advertising says, or what results some people have had in certain applications, all these "glues" are just a patch, I have said this hundreds of times.

The JB Weld sold in the USA has to be a different product to what we get here, i have used JB Weld a bit and its not comparable to what the Americans do with it

The repair cylinder head valve seats and crazy stuff like that and it works, the stuff we get here has no where near the strength it is very grainy like resin once cured and broken the stuff we have is really shit

I have patched 3 holes in a husqvarna 2 stroke 250cc engine case but it was in the bottom end so low pressure, i also put some on a WR250F crankcase where the chain snapped and punched a hole lesking oil

But the stuff we have here is very soft no where near the strength of aluminium

It's the same stuff, all those "miracle repairs" are just advertising hype, and short term patches.

Which JB Weld are we talking about. It's like silicone or caulking, 100s of different products for different uses. Even Tectyl, they have versions for steel, aluminium etc. Liquid nails even have different compounds, try their Landscape version for concrete, stone etc. The world is not black and white. I've had varying success with most products, you just need to do some research. I've still got repairs using some of those super glues I posted earlier that don't even look like parting company.
    I agree that sometimes it's easier to buy the part but often that means the part is not available or it will take a long time to get to you. The other option is to get it 3D printed, know a guy with a Porshe that needed a new window winder and couldn't find one anywhere (older model), printed it on his 3 D printer and still hasn't replaced it.
    And yes, I've had trouble sourcing JB Weld products, only about 2 or 3 of their products seem to be available in any one store.

Digs way back 16+ years ago JB Weld only had one product and it was called "JB Weld" its still called that today but the other JB Weld products have an additional names plastic weld, marine weld etc..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Image1631555921.643902.jpg

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

It’s not a product that I would use for a longtime permanent fix. Maybe something to get me out of a jam at best. But that’s me

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

have used the orignal product many times with good results, even repaired a crack in a hydrolic leaking trim tab plastic fitting veed out the crack then sanded around to take the shine off then cleaned with thiners & filled with JB was still going strong 2 years later when the boat was sold
    i did try the JB kuickset & found it not much good
    COL

I used JB Weld PlasticWeld as on the picture. I bought it from SuperCheap.