Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Useless fishing related items you have bought

Question Useless fishing related items you have bought

Hi All

Just a bit of fun .... or not Tell us about items you have bought for fishing / boating that were a total disappointment / waste of space / didn't last & you wasted your money on ......
    You can also use this as a RANT if you wish

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Useless fishing related items you have bought

Got boxes and boxes and ..........boxes of lures that probably will fit right in around here. It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit right 😜

OK - here is my first one

fish measuring tape.jpg

Now , I thought this was a great idea ...... it has all the lengths for NSW , bag limits and unlike a brag mat - it's convenient .
    So I bought one a couple of weeks ago for my Evans head trip

Now while its a good idea - it's poorly designed on a standard steel measuring tape ....... STEEL & SALT WATER do not go well together ..... it rusts , the screws , the tape & the spring ...... so after just one week in the boat , it's stuffed .

now it's not expensive but it's just the notion that it's not fit for purpose - Had it been made corrosion resistant it would be great .

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

LOL. Sheik and I had this conversation just the other day Chris. They are certainly a great concept but the execution is extremely poor.

What about that lure that was getting around a few years ago, the one that lights up and does this and that. I remember them saying it’s in the fishes DNA to eat it and they guaranteed it would catch fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

fish measuring tape.jpg

Now , I thought this was a great idea ...... it has all the lengths for NSW , bag limits and unlike a brag mat - it's convenient .

Now while its a good idea - it's poorly designed on a standard steel measuring tape ....... STEEL & SALT WATER do not go well together ..... it rusts , the screws , the tape & the spring ...... so after just one week in the boat , it's stuffed .

now it's not expensive but it's just the notion that it's not fit for purpose - Had it been made corrosion resistant it would be great .

chris
    In the yak I would pinch the missus sewing tape measure, some sort of vinyl but didn't stretch and would fit anywhere.
    And I've got boxes of lures and soft plastics that don't know what water is.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Got boxes and boxes and ..........boxes of lures that probably will fit right in around here. It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit right 
    Dtto to that

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

fish measuring tape.jpg

chris
    And to this one also ..

Apart from several rods that have performed well below par and exploding, I think the worst thing I have bought was a new cheap set of bearings to get home with and they barely made the run from Stanage to Brisbane. I blew a good quality bearing on the way up when the bearing buddies fell off in the corrugated road. Bought a supercheap bearing to get home with in Rocky.....pulled it out to replace the following weekend and the bearing cage was almost collapsed.
    Jack.

I to have been sucked in by the blue tape measure. Mine is rusted in now.

Matt

Picked up a cast net 10 years ago and still haven’t bothered to learn to throw it. As for my fly gear - the less said the better.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Apart from several rods that have performed well below par and exploding, I think the worst thing I have bought was a new cheap set of bearings to get home with and they barely made the run from Stanage to Brisbane. I blew a good quality bearing on the way up when the bearing buddies fell off in the corrugated road. Bought a supercheap bearing to get home with in Rocky.....pulled it out to replace the following weekend and the bearing cage was almost collapsed.
    Same same, i have about 70 rods and reels, need to stop impulse buys before checking what I already own.
    With my bearing buddies I wrap self amalgamating tape around them and they only come off when replacing bearings.

have 4 1000m spools of 130pound mono for when i was going to deep drop browns mountain and never did

High quality filleting knife....
    Ultimate optimistic buy... used like 3 times
    LOL.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    have 4 1000m spools of 130pound mono for when i was going to deep drop browns mountain and never did
    But you got them if someone asks, he who dies with most fishing gear wins doesn't matter it you don't use it.