Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to pass on my hydraulic hy-drive steering, anyone looking to go hydraulic?

going to pass on my hydraulic hy-drive steering, anyone looking to go hydraulic?

Trying to work out the hy-drive hydraulic steering kit is another venture on my shoulders to understand how to set it all up according to the instructions u have to rotate the steering wheel 1rpm per second for 2mins or 5mins and u need5 litres of hydraulic fluid and yadda yadda just more stuff i dont wanna stress over

Im going to go with basic teleflex steering which cant fail from a leak or mishap

I scored the hy-drive unit for free but i did have to pick it up

Anyone know of anyone that may want it for cheap?

Comes with 1 ram, 2 helms, 2 steering wheels, no hoses and no plastic spacers/shims for the ram (tilt tube shims)

I read the instructions... and it seems like a complicated unit to install

Re: going to pass on my hydraulic hy-drive steering, anyone looking to go hydraulic?

Te installation might sound complicated but it's not, turning the wheel is simply bleeding the air out, unless you have a power bleeder (even most dealers don't) then it's just a matter of turning the wheel back and forth. Just to add, the fittings are not cheap, so, depending on what you need, it could be an expensive setup.

Re: going to pass on my hydraulic hy-drive steering, anyone looking to go hydraulic?

The fluid is cheap as well
    made the kids spin the wheel while I cracked the bleed nipples
    It also cleans the crud out of the system

Took about 30-45 mins with the help of a 4 year old

As mentioned above its really quite simple...just 2 hoses from the helm to the ram and to bleed you just need a little airtight screw in fitting on the helm connected to some plastic tube in a bottle full of fluid and a container and a bit of tube on the bleeder valves on the ram to catch the aerated fluid as you push fluid through the system till you force the air out by turning the wheel all the way one way then back the other way...repeat until only fluid comes out and there is no play in the steering..

You will find some videos on Youtube ..nothing complicated at all and will be smoother to use then a cable..

Just borrow Steve's kid for half an hour and you will be sorted.. .

Here's a full HyDrive install. It ain't rocket science.

Yeah i watched that video u ideally need 3 people

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Trying to work out the hy-drive hydraulic steering kit is another venture on my shoulders to understand how to set it all up according to the instructions u have to rotate the steering wheel 1rpm per second for 2mins or 5mins and u need5 litres of hydraulic fluid and yadda yadda just more stuff i dont wanna stress over

Im going to go with basic teleflex steering which cant fail from a leak or mishap

I scored the hy-drive unit for free but i did have to pick it up

Anyone know of anyone that may want it for cheap?

Comes with 1 ram, 2 helms, 2 steering wheels, no hoses and no plastic spacers/shims for the ram (tilt tube shims)

I read the instructions... and it seems like a complicated unit to install
    How much are you asking & which suburb are you located?

Yeah i watched that video u ideally need 3 people
    Only if you were a public servant or council worker and need a supervisor as well...

Otherwise one person turning the steering wheel and one bleeding at the ram = 2 people..

Did you really even watch the video..?.the guy even shows you how to bleed the system by yourself without any help......

Quote Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
    How much are you asking & which suburb are you located?
    $200 and pm meon suburb (fairfield area)

$200 and pm meon suburb (fairfield area)
    Not a bad profit margin, from $0 to $200 and the interesting question is why the original owner gave it away in the first place. Had it started leaking or something less sinister.

How does one send a PM?

Click on his username, then "private message"

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Not a bad profit margin, from $0 to $200 and the interesting question is why the original owner gave it away in the first place. Had it started leaking or something less sinister.
    Nothing made at all it was a 3 hour drive and cost of fuel to pick it up i drive a V8 remember Digs

Original owner said the engine was moving side to side i dont think he used the shims in the kit for the tilt tube rod they were not given to me but i have mentioned whoever buys the steering will need them or a substatute

Without the shims the ram moves freely 10mm side to side they are mentioned in the video previouslg posted by someone else

Nothing made at all it was a 3 hour drive and cost of fuel to pick it up i drive a V8 remember Digs

Original owner said the engine was moving side to side i dont think he used the shims in the kit for the tilt tube rod they were not given to me but i have mentioned whoever buys the steering will need them or a substatute

Without the shims the ram moves freely 10mm side to side they are mentioned in the video previouslg posted by someone else
    Call me cynical but why weren't the tubing and other parts given to you as he would have had to remove them. I think you need to change your V8 to something else, I could drive a lot further than that for $200.

3 hrs at the top speed limit of 100 km/hr is a theoretical maximum of 300 km traveled. Assuming 25 litres/100 km is a total fuel burn of 75 litres. At $1.50/litre, thats $112.50. That leaves $187.50 profit.

Conclusion.
    Gaz courier is $62.50 per hour plus fuel.

Wow.