Thread: Focusing on Snapper

Focusing on Snapper

Done abit of research the past week picked up 40lb flurocarbon leader, glow beads etc.. 20lb main line.. 1m + of leader.. 4/0 hooks in a snell rig

I need to get a portable handheld vhf and a epirb and im set to go further than 2kms offshore, i have taking the tinny out twice first and second fish in 2.5 years..

50hp yamaha runs awesome..

May try to focus on the snappers down south last timei was down their the snappers were schooling in close about 850 meters outside the breakwall, i have never targetted snappers but have caught heaps under 32cm

Finallyputting that TLD15 i bought for small marlin to use
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Focusing on Snapper

You won't need 40lb leader or beads, if drifting a simple paternoster rig (I don't tie a bodgey loop knot for the hook) 20lb line and a sinker just big enough to hold bottom will work, look for the edge of reef where it meets sand or gravel rather than right up on the hard reef, where the Pike and other "ugly" fish live.

if anchored flo0at your line out and so long as it sinks slow with a slow berley trail you should be right .
    When you say "Down South " where are you refering to ??..
    When i used to live in the Gong i caught most my Snapper at night time with a side of yakka floated out and between bream , Snapper and Jew we did great then ..
    Snapper is not a hard fish in my books to catch ey..
    Though quite enjoyable both to chase and eat ..

I have only checked out videos online those guys were using 60-80lb leader i thought 40lb was light, plan is to focus around the wollongong area belambi, port kembla and maybe bass point if the ramp is usable

I've got size 2 pyramid sinkers i had ordered snapper sinkers..

Yeah Noel the knot shown for my bottom hook was the loop knot thru the hole 7 times.. lube than pull tight

Vol dont think i will be able to anchor outside fast currents, blowing wind, lots of snaggy seaweed and reef plus lotsof rope out if i were to lose the anchor i'd lose everything

Need to grab a cheap lowrance or garmin gps chartplotter to go in the tinny

The best, strongest and most reliable drift set up is simple, get a decent swivel, and tie it to your main line, on the other end, tie about 60cm of 20lb leader, tie your hook on that, on the same end of the swivel, tie a longer length of cheap mono for the sinker, a loop knot is OK for that, it makes a normal old paternoster, but the hook is on a single line (not a weak double loop) and the main line pulls directly on the swivel, through to the leader.

Just to add, there's not a Snapper alive down this way that you won't stop on 20lb line and a 4/0 Suicide hook. The ramp at Bass Point is not usable, Shellharbour is your best bet.

If thats braid on the TLD and you intend on using it for both bottom and trolling as well it would be best to remove the braid and fill her back up with mono and then just topshot with your braid to fill the spool up...you will find it hard work with such an empty spool and the drag wont be as smooth either for that marlin strike.....nice to see you actually getting out fishing..

Would the bait possible tangle around the sinker leader?

My old faithful isjust my mainline with arunning sinker to a swivel than 30-40cm leader to the hook

Belambi seems to be the big location down your way Noel i donno how far out tho but there are people that travel down there just for the snappers, from what i have seen they are 50-90cm models

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Would the bait possible tangle around the sinker leader?

My old faithful isjust my mainline with arunning sinker to a swivel than 30-40cm leader to the hook

Belambi seems to be the big location down your way Noel i donno how far out tho but there are people that travel down there just for the snappers, from what i have seen they are 50-90cm models
    Snapper will eat almost everything on any rig , my favourite is soft plastics on 20lb braid. Second best is a whole pillie or squid float lining. And have caught plenty bottom bashing. My brothers biggest is 93cm on a 4” Zman in 55m dead sticking with 20lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Snapper will eat almost everything on any rig , my favourite is soft plastics on 20lb braid. Second best is a whole pillie or squid float lining. And have caught plenty bottom bashing. My brothers biggest is 93cm on a 4” Zman in 55m dead sticking with 20lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would go as far to say that more snapper are "targeted" by recreational fisho's by use of plastics and jigs now than bait. Even more so in shallow (sub 30 metres) water.

yep agree seen a few dedicated pro fishers working close in with plastics , im not a plastics guy myself but have floated out one every now and then in a berley cube trail and picked up a few

Bugger, i have tried soft plastics in the past its exillerating but i get bored quiet easy and i cant get the hang of drifting and there being no slack in the line meaning when u jerk the rod than lower the tip the drifting speed just pulls the SP and it has no time to sink

I'm a baiter alive or dead baits kind of old school i also like regular $15 line from bcf that green javis walker smashes all my pelagics, i dont do to well on the braid but it was already spooled

I am also thinking a bit out of the box, poddy mullet as bait as where i live theres an abundance of them and i can keep them alive in a portable esky where as yakkas or squid i would need a live bait tank the tinny is only a small boat

That reel needs to be respooled with mini backing

6-10kg spin outfit is all you need in 20-30m of water

I use those black magic flasher rigs with a bit of squid and as they have circle hooks you don’t even need to strike
    I use some lighter mono to break the sinker off if I get snagged and save the rig.

buy snapper leads those sinkers you bought can spin in current and more prone to snagging, they are designed for beaxh fishing and holding in the sand

Google how to catch a nsw snapper or use your love of you tube there are hundreds of snapper videos