Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While I'm here...

While I'm here...

I have a 2014 Merc 4 stroke 60, which doesnt have a trim tilt gauge on the dash. Any ideas on where I would goabout getting one and if installing is an issue for a gumby?

Re: While I'm here...

Do you really need one..?..I havent had a working one for over 10 years..

On flattish water I trim out to the point of cavitation then trim her back in a tad....

My fuel usage computer will also reflect that as being the most economical position..

With a bit of swell and chop, trim by feel...

Yeah , esp as at the moment the trim motor isnt staying locked so in that situation its difficult to keep trimming all the time without knowing how much the motor is dropping, also don't have fuel consumption, just go by the note.

yep that is a PITA...need to fix that rather then just putting up with it...

Trim gauge is probably the most useless device ever fitted (in my opinion) if you don't know if your motor is up or down, or the boat is not performing as it should, then a gauge is not going to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Trim gauge is probably the most useless device ever fitted (in my opinion) if you don't know if your motor is up or down, or the boat is not performing as it should, then a gauge is not going to help you.
    While a agree with nearly everything you writein this forum Noel, I have to respectfully disagree with this. Personally, especially whenI am just getting used to how a boat feels and responds, I use the gauge a lot, and especially when I'm running over shallow water and rocks, which is the majority of my work. Also, Im a bit OCD and checking where it's sitting helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    yep that is a PITA...need to fix that rather then just putting up with it...
    Yes a mobile mechanic is hopefully sorting it out for me. All the outboard shops are booked up until August 2085. I'll give a little review if he does a good job, and also maybe if he doesn't.

Does your engine have a sender fitted as standard? (little arm that contacts the engine bracket down near the trim and tilt usually)

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Does your engine have a sender fitted as standard? (little arm that contacts the engine bracket down near the trim and tilt usually)
    Yeah I'll have a look. Dark when I leave and dark when I get home so

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Can't see one? 20210513_135249.jpeg20210513_135238.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

InkedMerc Motor Bracket_LI.jpg

Have a closer look at this gismo. I'm no Merc aficionado but this is the closest possibility I can see. Some one will chime in hopefully.

thanks mate i will

Be pretty rare for a modern engine with power trim to not have the sensor fitted, can't quite see those pictures clear enough to make out anything though, do you have the manual for the motor? it might indicate where the connector for the gauge is located, or as a last resort, call a decent Merc dealer and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    I have a 2014 Merc 4 stroke 60, which doesnt have a trim tilt gauge on the dash. Any ideas on where I would goabout getting one and if installing is an issue for a gumby?
    Did you find a solution? I have the same engine and year model.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Hey shiek i just set my trim once for the day and leave it, i know its not how u use trim and tilt but works for me just means u need to use a little more power to get on the plane

Could u use a 4wd dash mount leveller? Its bodgy but a simple bolt on level and u never have to hardwire or play with it