Thread: Stain or leak

Stain or leak

Can’t get an actual picture of my motor at the moment. Boat is at my brothers and he tells me there is a leak or a stain from this area. He has no idea how to take pics and send

Could something be leaking from here or is it just a stain.

Image1620683135.289996.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Stain or leak

Not much can leak from there, although I have seen the metal eaten away from the inside around that location, but it formed paint bubbles and a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not much can leak from there, although I have seen the metal eaten away from the inside around that location, but it formed paint bubbles and a hole.
    Thanks Noel.

What is actually behind this cover.

He describes it as a light tan colour.

When I get it back should I at least take it off and inspect?

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

I have seen those lower mounts corrode and as Noel suggests cause corrosion from inside the mount cover which eventually bubbles the paint and eats a hole right through the cover....probably means the mount, rubber and cover will need replacing....

Lower engine mount. They do corrode - never saw it on the older engines but they did on my current one. If it has and has gone right through, it may be into the exhaust ???? (Noel may have a better idea what's on the other side) - thus the stain. Put it in a drum, start it up and spray the area with a soapy water mix - see if it blows bubbles.

I am assuming the line is pointing to the mount cover? That's what I based my answer on, it's common for them to corrode through, in front of that is just a hollow casting, not much to leak there either, unless oil or something is dribbling down and staining the paint somehow (slim chance)
    edit.....a tan stain might indicate rust? they used to use a steel "bolt" kind of thing set in rubber as the lower mount, bugger of a thing to pull to bits, I thought they changed it to stainless in the later years (but I could be wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I am assuming the line is pointing to the mount cover? That's what I based my answer on, it's common for them to corrode through, in front of that is just a hollow casting, not much to leak there either, unless oil or something is dribbling down and staining the paint somehow (slim chance)
    edit.....a tan stain might indicate rust? they used to use a steel "bolt" kind of thing set in rubber as the lower mount, bugger of a thing to pull to bits, I thought they changed it to stainless in the later years (but I could be wrong)
    Not sure Noel. Mine swelled to the point it bent the shift shaft so could well still have a steel component.

There you go, I just thought somewhere in the dark recesses of my feeble mind, that it was changed to stainless, the old steel ones rusted to bits over time, some just rusted and the owner didn't know, some corroded a hole, giving a clue something was amiss.

I’m going down to brothers place today to take a look. I get pic and hopefully get cover of and have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Any update?

Stain or leak

I got down to my brothers and found he had moved it so the motor was under a flowering shrub/tree that was losing it’s flowers dropping all over the motor and they were breaking down and were now a similar colour to the stain. There had also been a lot rain down his way.

I inspected (without taking cover off) the Mount cover on both sides. The starboard side was clean as a whistle but the port side looked like this (see picture).

Image1620940302.117314.jpg

The Mount covers appear to have a rubber gasket or similar and they look in good order. The bolts holding cover on all appear fine and no discolouration or rust.

The marks came off very easy using a little bit of polish.

So I’ve taken boat home and will monitor any further stains that may appear.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I got down to my brothers and found he had moved it so the motor was under a flowering shrub/tree that was losing it’s flowers dropping all over the motor and they were breaking down and were now a similar colour to the stain. There had also been a lot rain down his way.

I inspected (without taking cover off) the Mount cover on both sides. The starboard side was clean as a whistle but the port side looked like this (see picture).

Image1620940302.117314.jpg

The Mount covers appear to have a rubber gasket or similar and they look in good order. The bolts holding cover on all appear fine and no discolouration or rust.

The marks came off very easy using a little bit of polish.

So I’ve taken boat home and will monitor any further stains that may appear.

The best type of problem to have, motor probably needed a polish anyway.

yep..glad it turned out to be nothing...

It was all corroded and swollen inside the cover of this evinrude...the rubber gasket was stuffed.. ...didnt even suspect a thing till the hole magically appeared..

IMG_2330.jpg