Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telwater trailer rusted rear section, common?

Re: Telwater trailer rusted rear section, common?

does no one fill up the box sections with fish oil anymore? i just dumped 8 litres of fish oil in my trailer refurbishment

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I have done the same to all 3 cross members on my big trailer through use of some vinyl tube, hose joiner fittings, a bit of glue filled heat shrink and some zip ties. Just clip the hose on for a few minutes each while unpacking the boat once home. A also purchased a rust proofing gun with a 1 metre flex nozzle to treat the insides with fish oil properly.
    Same here, though I used 3/8 copper pipe, with the male hose fitting, had to drill it out with a 3/8 th bit and it hammered on nice snd tight which meant the hose end just clipped on, the other end I squeezed to give more of a fountain spray into the cross member. Mine is slightly different as where the cross members are welded onto the mainframe it is lower and a gap sufficient to take my fitting.
    The Shutz gun I also used but extended it out to 2 m to get deeper penetration, just meant I had to thin the oil just a little bit. It's been on quite a while and I've watched for dissimilar metal issues but all good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    does no one fill up the box sections with fish oil anymore? i just dumped 8 litres of fish oil in my trailer refurbishment
    I did once I had to replace the cross member on the last trailer as I had to do the last foot or so of the side rails as well and the only other hole was up front where it never saw salt water . On a lot of trailers though, there are so many openings drilled for cables and the galvanizing process that it involves a heap of welding to seal everything up - then you are burning gal off the outside - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Same here, though I used 3/8 copper pipe, with the male hose fitting, had to drill it out with a 3/8 th bit and it hammered on nice snd tight which meant the hose end just clipped on, the other end I squeezed to give more of a fountain spray into the cross member. Mine is slightly different as where the cross members are welded onto the mainframe it is lower and a gap sufficient to take my fitting.
    The Shutz gun I also used but extended it out to 2 m to get deeper penetration, just meant I had to thin the oil just a little bit. It's been on quite a while and I've watched for dissimilar metal issues but all good so far.
    My cross members are the same way. Good idea with the gun. No need for mine as I have access in enough places to get to everything that gets wet. The other thing I have made up is a length of electrical conduit with a sprinkler head on one end and a hose fitting (via a poly line compression fitting) at the other. Allows a good wash up any open ended beams.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    My cross members are the same way. Good idea with the gun. No need for mine as I have access in enough places to get to everything that gets wet. The other thing I have made up is a length of electrical conduit with a sprinkler head on one end and a hose fitting (via a poly line compression fitting) at the other. Allows a good wash up any open ended beams.
    I just ran 13mm poly pipe up each full length beams with 360° little sprinkler heads every 400mm apart, stopper at one end, male hose fitting the other, just plug in hose, flush for a bit then plug the saltaway un for a final finish. Good idea with the conduit for those shorter lengths though, another project, maybe today.

Edit: I did put the heads in a twisting pattern as I went along. Surprisingly it got past electrical wiring, hydraulic tubing with out getting caught up, maybe I was lucky.

Google does salt dissolve in water faster than cold water

I mainly freshwater fish now so don’t really have to worry about the trailer
    but when I lived in Sydney I had a hot and cold mixer water tap installed on a outside wall and washed the trailer down with that
    it removes the salt faster and more completely