Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telwater trailer rusted rear section, common?

Telwater trailer rusted rear section, common?

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone else is or had had the same problem with their Telwater trailer. I just purchased this 460 Renegade. I knew there was rust in this section and accepted it after speaking with a Quintrex dealer who said it could be replaced with a new section.

The trailer was made in 2015 the boat was 2016 so 4-5 years of use and this has happened. I just wonder if it's a one off poor gal job or they have a serious issue with drainage.

Any thoughts before I buy or make a new section. The left side is worse but both have pretty severe rust. (Sorry bout the photo quality)

Locky1

Rear trailer brackets.jpg

Re: Telwater trailer rusted rear section, common?

Pretty common, trailers made as cheap as possible, and a low point, salt water just sits there and eats away at it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ours under our Top Ender is a 2000 vintage, did a lot of launching off the beach, took about 13 years for the rear cross bar to rust out, replaced it, just with normal box section, now the centre one it toast, about to replace that one now. It has been looked after extremely well. Can't really knock it, it has done a lot of work, but I'm not far from going down the new trailer route as I got no idea what the main frame is like inside. The new one will be C Channel I'm thinking.
    Cheers
    Corry

My Trailer is a similar vintage, certainly no sign of corrosion like that!
    As a comparison, the boat has 660hrs on it and up until recently was used anywhere from once to three times a week in the salt.

All depends how much use it’s had and how well it’s looked after
    gets used every weekend and stored under a tarp and not washed down then can go in twelve months

My tinny trailer is fabbed from 1.9mm purlins the whole frame is in great condition except the last cross member was so corroded it had failed i guess besides the springs and axle the last cross member was the only part to be submersed in salt water

I replaced the 90x40mm purlin with 70x35mm 2.5mm wall RHS gal steel i made sure to keep my new cross member open on both sides so i could spray tectyl inside the steel tubing (on the inside of the welds)

Has worked great so far been dipped 4 times 2 trips

All comes down to the after use care the trailer received and of course their is always the chance with SHS that the gal process didn't take really well internally. I would be cutting the existing sections off close to the rusted area and seeing just how far towards the main frame it has progressed for starters. Then fabricate the replacements from channel so it can't hold water using the left over stubs of the originals at the sides where required to attach the new parts so you don't burn the gal from the main beams.

Just on this issue - My EasyTow trailer has a hose fitting on the last cross member ...... so when I clean the boat down I can simply connect the hose & flush it out

This to me seems like a simple / cheap solution which will no doubt prolong the life of the trailer - certainly the lower cross member with that low point.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just on this issue - My EasyTow trailer has a hose fitting on the last cross member ...... so when I clean the boat down I can simply connect the hose & flush it out

This to me seems like a simple / cheap solution which will no doubt prolong the life of the trailer - certainly the lower cross member with that low point.

Chris
    Do you reckon you could take a a pic of your hose fitting, Chris..?

That last crossmember has been the bane of my existence of every trailer I have ever owned..

Scott

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chris
    Was about to ask the same as Scott Chris.

Is it your own design or a manufacturer’s option? I’m looking at upgrading my 11 year old Sea-Link trailer.
    Matilda

I'd love to say this was me .....

It's actually the first time I've had a close look - It's simply a fitting that has been pushed into the square hole that exists

simple / clever solution

hose fitting .jpg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'd love to say this was me .....

It's actually the first time I've had a close look - It's simply a fitting that has been pushed into the square hole that exists

simple / clever solution

hose fitting .jpg
    Yeah nice one Chris..I think I'll do something similar now..

I have done the same to all 3 cross members on my big trailer through use of some vinyl tube, hose joiner fittings, a bit of glue filled heat shrink and some zip ties. Just clip the hose on for a few minutes each while unpacking the boat once home. A also purchased a rust proofing gun with a 1 metre flex nozzle to treat the insides with fish oil properly.

like the idea of replacing with channel...Im on my third replacement of the rear cross member..near 40 yr old trailer.

I like the idea of only ever owning ally trailers. After my first steel trailer rusted out I decided to stick with ally from now on.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.