Thread: swing mooring storage questions

swing mooring storage questions

Hi everyone,

I use a trailer at the moment. I am looking to buy a bigger boat and consider renting a swing mooring from a local marina but I don't know how simple things are done when storing on the water.

1. I flush my engine with fresh water after each use. Do people bring a water tank with portable pump to the mooring? What are the logistics of this task?

2. I know that there is a requirement that a boat should be at least 5.2 meters to be eligible. I am looking at a boat that has 510 hull and 5.4 length if the small platform attached to the transom is included. Is it eligible?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: swing mooring storage questions

Storing on the water realistically means you are setting up a bird sh*t platform on top, weed-growing fad underneath, to be blunt. The bottom will need to be antifouled, so you have immediately lost speed, and it just gets worse as you scrub off and re-apply each coat. And is expensive, plus needing somehwere to clean and paint. As for the top, well, sitting out in the sun on the water ages them faster than anything, and you will need to put on/take off a full length cover every time you want to use it, or it will be full of the above-mentioned bird product.
    Do you really have a problem with a trailer or storing on land?

Look for somewhere with rack storage if you cant trailer it is my opinion. For a boat to be suitable for a swing mooring it needs to be fully self draining or have enough roof for a very good solar panel system and a very good set of covers to keep water out. There has been more than a few trailer size boats sunk over the years simply due to a few days of good, heavy rain. The bilge pumps work overtime, flatten the battery and the rest gets sorted out with the insurance company. The points Ranmar makes are spot on as well.

Your answers discouraged me from storing on the water especially because I would like to buy a bowrider, which will be affected by the above problems worst.

Im sure the sea gulls will love it
    Tug
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by portjacksonday View Post
    Your answers discouraged me from storing on the water especially because I would like to buy a bowrider, which will be affected by the above problems worst.
    Yeah, not really a viable option for a bow rider . Look for a Marina that has rack or hardstand storage if you can't store it at home on a trailer. Yes, it's an ongoing cost but your boat will be better for it.