Thread: Deep-drop Moreton 8th May

Deep-drop Moreton 8th May

A 15knot NW against a 1.5m SE swell made for a bumpy morning and run offshore
    Sunrise was a striking orange over Moreton Island
    1 hour into fishing and Motorguide electric motor was flashing red on battery symbol
    Volt meter showed one battery at 11.8v and other at 11.4v - bugger a collapsed battery and both my winch and front motor run on the 24v set-up
    I decided to target a few spots with one drop at each with the last couple of hours battery
    First spot 670m and I hooked up to something solid and was hopeful as this time last year I got a 23kg blue-eye trev here - so up came a double hook-up of mega green eye sharks - smaller 10kg and bigger 15kg Bugger
    I moved in shallower as a big haul up of very deep drop green eyed sharks was not the goal
    I fished a 460m spot and hooked up straight away to a nice fish and got it 100m grom surface when winch stopped and spotlock let go
    I put manual handle on winch and wound up bass groper - he ate 2 of the 3 baits so it was well hooked
    I spent next few hours sounding about and drifting using Miya Epoch X-9 12v outfit and just caught a few smaller green eye sharks
    Midday the sea got calm and mid-arvo I had an easy run home with dolphins and a beautiful sunset
    It was a nice solo runClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210508_115657.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	123863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210508_170120.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	123865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210508_060522.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	123866

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Deep-drop Moreton 8th May

Solid effort well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, roughly how many k’s East of Moreton do you have to travel to be in 600+m of water?

35-40km East of lighthouse
    300-400m deep is within 3-5km of 600-700m
    900m is only another 1km offshore
    400m is upper edge of shelf
    Quote Originally Posted by FINICKY View Post
    Out of curiosity, roughly how many k’s East of Moreton do you have to travel to be in 600+m of water?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev