Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disappointing really

Re: Disappointing really

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Think we are "getting our wires crossed" in translation. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachment 123895
    This is a Lone Star solenoid. The terminals we are going to test with are the big bolt ones.

They are labelled +, - , M1 and M2.

Make sure that all the wiring, including the motor connections are as it was before we started all this - all connected.

Do these checks and report back.

Turn on the circuit breaker.

1. Red meter lead to + terminal, black meter lead to - terminal. Should read 12 volts.

2. Now press the switch for down - record voltage (should still be 12)

3. Now press the up switch - record voltage (should still be 12)

Assuming we had 12 volts across the + and - terminals the whole time, we now move the meter leads - one to the M1 terminal, the other to M2 terminal.

Should be nothing until switch is pressed.

4. Push the down switch - record voltage and polarity (Should read 12 volts + or - doesn't matter which and the motor should run)

5. Push the up switch - record voltage and polarity. (Should read 12 volts with the opposite polarity to test 4 and the motor should run).

We'll get this nutted
    Oustanding thanks I'm on to it

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Think we are "getting our wires crossed" in translation. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachment 123895
    This is a Lone Star solenoid. The terminals we are going to test with are the big bolt ones.

They are labelled +, - , M1 and M2.

Make sure that all the wiring, including the motor connections are as it was before we started all this - all connected.

Do these checks and report back.

Turn on the circuit breaker.

1. Red meter lead to + terminal, black meter lead to - terminal. Should read 12 volts.

2. Now press the switch for down - record voltage (should still be 12)

3. Now press the up switch - record voltage (should still be 12)

Assuming we had 12 volts across the + and - terminals the whole time, we now move the meter leads - one to the M1 terminal, the other to M2 terminal.

Should be nothing until switch is pressed.

4. Push the down switch - record voltage and polarity (Should read 12 volts + or - doesn't matter which and the motor should run)

5. Push the up switch - record voltage and polarity. (Should read 12 volts with the opposite polarity to test 4 and the motor should run).

We'll get this nutted
    I don't like the sound of this. The down switch reads 12 volts but the motor doesn't run the up switch reads nothing

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Then I went to the motor itself and when the switch was pressed down there was 12 volts at the motor. So I got the battery again and we're previously I had the motor running when it was connected straight to the battery it is now no longer doing that in either direction so it sounds like the motor is buggered to me but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    I don't like the sound of this. The down switch reads 12 volts but the motor doesn't run the up switch reads nothing

Means we have a fault somewhere in the switch/wiring/solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Then I went to the motor itself and when the switch was pressed down there was 12 volts at the motor. So I got the battery again and we're previously I had the motor running when it was connected straight to the battery it is now no longer doing that in either direction so it sounds like the motor is buggered to me but I could be wrong

Possibly. Could be as simple as a stuck brush. More testing required. Think we are getting to a point where some technical assistance may be warranted. PM sent.